Friday, May 29, 2009

Five Faves Friday

Although it appears that I only update on Fridays, soon all of that will change. We start SUMMER VACATION (woo hoo!) after next week, so I should be posting more regularly, I hope! I'm off again to a graduation party in a few minutes, but I'm sneaking in my five faves before Saturday arrives:

(1) Eighth grade graduation. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal to most people, but eighth grade graduation at my school is such a meaningful, beautiful ceremony. By the time that these students leave our school, they feel like my children. I've spent every day with them for three years, as their English teacher. I've watched them grow in extraordinary ways, and overcome so many challenges. I've watched them earn those diplomas.

As assistant principal, at the ceremony, I "assist" the principal in presenting a special medal to each graduate. I help the principal put the medal (which is attached to a ribbon) over each graduate's cap. The gesture appears to be a meaningless one, but not for me. This is the last time I look in each students' eyes; this is the last hug; the last goodbye; the last time I will call them mine. I always tear up, and this is never good, since graduation is one of maybe two or three nights all year that I actually wear makeup.

So, as of last night, the class of 2009 is onward and upward -- and all that I have left to say now is that I knew them when.

(2) Speaking of graduates...
my cousin Shelly just graduated with her nursing degree from HPU. I am so proud of her. In my grandmother's eyes, her granddaughters have now achieved the epitome of success for women -- we're all nurses and teachers. This is sweet on her part, but it makes the feminist in me want to switch careers. Maybe I'll become an archaeologist, or a urologist, or a riveter. In any case, congratulations, Shelly. My TRUE Friday Fave here is that she'll be teaching summer school with me over the next few weeks. I can't wait to boss her around and say "mmm kay" all the time, just like in Office Space. I need to get a coffee cup, pronto.

(3) It's payday. Enough said.

(4) This youtube video has been on replay all week around here. It's definitely one of my faves this week.



This child is brilliantly hilarious, and hilariously brilliant.
"I'm her mom."
"No, she's not."

(5) I haven't had time to read much in the past two weeks, due to the chaos that comes with the end of the school year, but one night, I had trouble turning off my brain, so I started reading this book:
The first chapter is amazing -- I can't wait to read the rest! Ooh, and I love that tulle dress on the cover.

Have a great weekend, all!

4 comments:

  1. Payday is always the best day ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graduations always make me cry too. Its like the end of an era and the last time the kids are all together as a group before they scatter. I too, am so proud of them. Next year I have 2 seniors..one in HS and one in college..I am already teary when I think about their graudations..

    On a happy note...the Kitten Story is H.Y.S.T.E.R.I.C.A.L.!!!!WOW!! I loved that!!

    Have a great weekend.
    Joanie:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!!! Love the kitten video!!! I will have to look up that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh goodness! that cover is so captivating! i might actually have to read something . . .

    ReplyDelete