Friday, July 3, 2009

Five Faves Friday, FAST

I have to fly through this week's Five Faves Friday listing -- I'm on the run!

(1)  Lie to Me.  I just saw this show for the first time today.  It's seriously amazing, and after just one episode, I was hooked.  Usually the pilot of a show tends to be okay -- promising, but nothing special.  Not in this case.  You can watch the pilot on Hulu, if you're interested. 

(2) Olfactory-induced Swooning.  All evening the neighbor has had the grill going, and the aroma of teri BBQ has been wafting through the air.  I love Fourth of July weekend.  

(3) Hope.  You know, the thing with feathers?  Sometimes, working with middle school students, I get a little discouraged when I witness moments of apathy.  However, much of this apathy comes from ignorance, and thus, I know that rather than see a problem, I can focus on a solution.  Teaching compassion is so difficult, but literature has the power to do just that.  Today in class, my summer school students read Paul Zindel's Let Me Hear You Whisper (sorry, the link does not contain the full text). Sometimes in making hearts hurt, we also help them to love even more strongly.  

(4) Meatloaf.  Rob sometimes chants, "Meatloaf, meatloaf, I hate meatloaf" just to mess with me.  The truth is that he loves my turkey meatloaf.  Tonight's dinner, as you may guess, was meatloaf.  Turkey meatloaf -- GOOD STUFF!  I also tried scalloped potatoes for the first time.  As I pulled it from the oven, I announced, "This looks evil."  As in, delicious.  Dangerous.  Delectable.  Evil.  

(5) Macrophages.  I just need to give a shout out to the movers and shakers of my immune system.  Thanks for helping me to get through last week's flu.  Yucka. Now, if you could just help Z kick her ear infection...

Have a great Fourth of July weekend, all!   

4 comments:

  1. Meatloaf... BBQ's... darn I am starved. Happy 4th! Have a safe and fab day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 4th, sweetheart :) and one day, you're gonna make me some meatloaf :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lie to Me is a great show!!!! Love it! Happy 4th!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, i totally want scalloped potatoes now. :)

    ReplyDelete