Friday, August 14, 2009

Five Faves Fried Day

At long last, it's Friday!

A lack of sleep can make any week seem twice as long as usual. Now that school has started again, I've been getting just a few hours of sleep a night. The beginning of a school year is both exhausting and exciting. Everything is so new; anything seems possible. This is the exciting part. However, when it comes to planning lessons and managing class time, exhaustion sets in pretty quickly. The students haven't yet settled into a routine, or revealed their special strengths or challenges. They're not yet in a position to take more active roles in class, so I tend to overplan, to ensure that I am using every moment of class efficiently, and I tend to spend a lot of class time "performing," exhausting myself in my attempts at a one-woman show for three different grade levels daily. By the time I hit the end of the week, it's not Friday, it's Fried Day. Now that it's Friday night, I'm looking forward to falling asleep and staying asleep for at least eight full hours.

Regardless of my sleep-silly state of mind, this week's Five Faves Friday is devoted to five bright spots that occurred during my waking hours this week:

1. A Fresh Start. I'm really looking forward to working with this year's classes. They all seem to be bursting with energy and effort. Granted, we're only a week in, and many will fall into more comfortable patterns soon enough, but I'm hoping that they'll remain motivated and passionate about learning. One of the highlights of this week was working with the "newbies," our sixth graders, who have never switched classes before this year. They were so afraid before our first class, but after their first day of switching, they couldn't wait to do it again. I love their enthusiasm and honesty, not to mention their curiosity. They're full of questions, and are genuinely yearning for answers. Their excitement is contagious.

2. Worth It. Months ago, I bought tickets to the August 11 No Doubt concert for my daughter and me. Weeks later, I received the 2009-2010 school year calendar, and saw that school would be starting on August 10. Wuh oh. On Sunday night, I read the fine print on our tickets and saw that the concert would be starting at 8:00 p.m. Say whaa? We braved it anyway -- I mean, it's No Doubt. School night or not, we're there.

It was definitely worth giving up a few hours of sleep. Even though our seats kind of sucked, we still enjoyed ourselves. Gwen was awesome, as always. Z and I could not stop marveling at her abs, or her level of energy. The woman is a goddess.

I've loved No Doubt since I was in high school, and apparently I'm not alone in that. Most of the people in attendance seemed to be in their 30s. That was surprising to me -- but then again, it was a school night. Z was maybe one of just a handful of tweens there.

My favorite songs performed were "It's My Life" (amazing sound) and "Stand and Deliver" (the band pulled drums to the edge of the stage and went crazy).

I must admit to feeling somewhat nauseated at times during the show. The thirtysomethings gathered around us were apparently hearing something in the music that I didn't, gyrating and grating into each other as if they were in a scene from True Blood. Who freaking does pelvic thrusts to "Simple Kind of Life"? How messed up is that? Luckily, the beer haze took over soon enough, and by the end of the concert, the horndogs were slumped over in their chairs, disoriented and sated.

3. "Sunshine." Matt Costa opened for No Doubt. I felt bad for him, though. The audience didn't really seem into him. I guess they came for a rowdy and raucous show, which isn't exactly Matt Costa's vibe. I didn't care -- he's freaking MATT COSTA! He's been inhabiting my playlists for the longest time. And when he finally sang "Sunshine" near the end of his set, I could barely hold my camera steady:


As you can see, our seats weren't the greatest, and I brought my little point-and-shoot rather than my "good" camera, but at least I have a little bit of "Sunshine" to remember here.

4. Band Slam. I saw it. I liked it. I know you think I'm kidding when I write this, but I kid you not. Z was curious about this movie, and I had had enough of this horrible humid weather, so we went to a showing after school today. I had extremely low expectations, especially based on the corny trailer that I had seen. Then Rob told us that the movie had a "Fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so I figured, why not? There must be something there. And there was! This film certainly has its cornball moments, but it's also smart and funny at times. It's also a movie for music lovers. The actual band's songs are not that memorable, but the soundtrack is great. I also love that the main character plays a geek while actually looking like a geek; I'm so tired of movies that "clean up the geek" and give you some pretty boy in disguise.

5. A Surprise. I just got an email today that made me very, very, VERY happy. I can't share the details yet, but it's definitely worth its place on my faves list for this week. Woo and hoo, I say!

3 comments:

  1. Does that email have anything to do w/ a suggestion I might have made? Hmmmmm??? =) =)
    LOVE the no doubt description. Pelvic Thrusts? Sated Horndogs?? HEEEE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Jelly about the concert!! Glad to see you starting the school year so positive!! Have a great second week at school!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I first started switching classes in 6th grade too! It was so exciting. And I remember thinking that the time spent lining up and going through the halls took away from actual class time and since my teachers weren't always the best, that was a good thing. I see what teachers do now with thier classes and think that I really missed out, but at least I know that my niece will have a better school experience than I did!
    Gwen's abs are definitely amazing!! I went to a No Doubt concert at least over 10 years ago and I remember it well! They rock!!
    Thanks for your super sweet comment on my blog! Definitely have your kids sing "Breathe" it's such a pretty song!

    ReplyDelete