Friday, August 21, 2009

Five Faves Friday

Today Hawaii celebrates its 50th year of statehood, which leads me to the first of my five faves for the week:

1. No school today! I wish I could write that every Friday. I'm pretty sure that every single one of my students wishes the same thing. Unfortunately, majority doesn't rule when it comes to decision-making in schools. As a former principal of mine once declared, "This is not a democracy. It is a totalitarian regime."

2. I celebrated statehood by embracing free expression, remaining in my pajamas almost all day. I finally got dressed at 3:00 and took Zoe to see Post Grad. Ah, the things I do for air conditioning. My advice? Don't wait for it to come out on video. Wait for it to show up on Lifetime or the Oxygen channel, where it truly belongs. I did like some of the music, however. So what does any of this have to do with my second fave? I got to see the trailer for Whip It, and I CANNOT WAIT to see this movie:


3. While we're on the subject of teams (not roller derbies), exactly one week ago today I received some AMAZING news: I've been asked to join the Lily Bee design team, starting in September! To say that I am stoked is an understatement. You know that guy in high school that you stared at because he was so handsome he was BEAUTIFUL? That's how I feel about Lily Bee and its stare-worthy papers. To actually have my paper crush "stare back" is both incredible and surreal to me.

4. I have discovered the perfect pen for me: the Uniball Gel Impact.
I use it at work and while playing with paper. It writes so smoothly, and it's acid free. Ooh, and when it runs out of ink, you can buy refills for it instead of having to buy an entirely new pen. Score.

5. My favorite "fave" of the week was seeing my mom try on her wedding dress last Sunday. She was beaming, and beautifully so. Of course I have lots of photos, but I'm not about to risk having the groom see the dress before the big day. Sorry. You'll have to make do with a bunch of bridesmaids at their dress fitting, myself included:

8 comments:

  1. Hope you are enjoying your long weekend!! School starts Monday for us here in Florida.
    Congrats to your mom!! Looking forward to wedding pics!!

    AND congrats on making the Lily Bee design team..Thats fantastic Jill!!!

    Joanie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the DT! That rocks! Those dresses are so pretty. Love the colors.

    We don't start school here until Sept 8th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place. But I bet you knew that.
    Huge congrats on Lily Bee! I love their stuff. I have yet to see in my neck of the woods. I can't wait to see what you do for them.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all look FANTASTIC. Whip it looks hilarious (and touching) so YAY! Can't wait to look up Lily Bee...haven't heard of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on Lily Bee! Thats so cool! I cannot wait to see Whip-it!! That was the first time I saw that trailer! I love it!!! Hope you are having a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your Lily Bee news!!! Can't wait to see more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah Jill! How awesome to hear about Lilly Bee! Huge congrats!

    Thanks for posting the link to the Whip It trailer, it looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you all look beautiful my friend...and i'm so excited to have you join us at Lily Bee!! =)

    ReplyDelete