Friday, September 25, 2009

Five Faves Friday

1.
Z has been wanting to watch Fame for months now, and today the movie finally premiered. I didn't have very high hopes for it, so I wasn't all that surprised by the presence of mediocre talent, undeveloped characters, and many songs that went "clunk". The movie did have its moments, though. Everyone loves a spectacle, right? There was a definite highlight: Asher Book. The boy can SING! Plus, he's pretty. And his last name is Book. I think Z is smitten.

Sadly, rather than creating music like that which he sang in the movie, he has been directing his talents at coordinating NKOTB and Backstreet Boy-inspired dance moves and singing formulaic lyrics with the V Factory, a boy band of which he is, tragically, a member. Hopefully someone will have an intervention and give the boy a piano and a solo album. He also could use some writing lessons, as evidenced by his MySpace page: "what up my name is asher. nickname ashthecash. but dont hate haha." Come on, man -- your last name is Book, for freak's sake. How did this guy even make it onto the Five Faves? His voice. Oh, his voice.

2.
After the movie this evening, Z and I stopped at Borders for a bit of a looksee, and I discovered three new editions of Pride and Prejudice, The Scarlet Letter, and Wuthering Heights, with covers designed by artist Ruben Toledo.

Even though I have older editions of these books, I almost bought these three just to have Toledo's brilliant covers in my possession.

3.
Harper Simon. Oh, Harper Simon. I could surround myself with his songs all day long.

4.
One of my favorite things about today was seeing this post at Collage Press. It's bittersweet, actually. It includes the first layout that I've done about my mom's wedding, but it's also my last layout for the Collage Press design team.
One of my favorite things about this year has been serving as a member of the team. Alas, now that we are in the last month of our one-year term, it is time to pass the torch to the next lucky group of designers.

5.
The NEW New Moon trailer has most definitely earned a spot on the Five Faves this week.

4 comments:

  1. OH I love the New new New Moon Trailer!!! Awesome! (Although I am really starting to not like Kristen Stewart). I love your rant on the Book kid. Too funny! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill,
    Gorgeous Double LO - for CP it's fabulous being on the DT with you this year, I've always looked forward to seeing your creations each month they are stunning!
    Reneexx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great faves!! I
    watched the New Moon trailer about 4 times now!!!
    Beautiful layouts of your mom's wedding....I am so happy for her!!

    Glad you are feeling better too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great faves!! I
    watched the New Moon trailer about 4 times now!!!
    Beautiful layouts of your mom's wedding....I am so happy for her!!

    Glad you are feeling better too!!
    Joanie :)

    ReplyDelete