Friday, November 20, 2009

Five Faves Friday

1. New Moon. This afternoon, Z and I saw it. FINALLY. It's good. It's better than Twilight. Great effects. No garish makeup. Almost no bad hair (sorry, Jasper). Decent music. Granted, the soundtrack isn't as good as Twilight's, but the acting is MUCH better, as is the overall flow from scene to scene. Most importantly, the movie was true to the book, because I sit here now, hours after the movie ended, and my heart is still breaking for Jacob.

This is not to say that I'm of the Jacobean persuasion. I'm not into the whole Team Edward/Team Jacob nonsense -- in fact, I can see why Bella is drawn to both. Edward's intensity and Jacob's warmth and humor combine to make the perfect man. Frankly, I just can't see why they're so drawn to her. Someone, help me understand the allure of Bella Swan (film-wise, not book-wise). Granted, Kristen Stewart looked stunning in this film, but beyond that -- what is Bella's secret? Other than the smell of her blood, her shielding abilities, and the fact that she doesn't recoil from all that is Strange, what sets her apart from other girls (okay, maybe those things are enough)? Perhaps she's relatively un-extraordinary on purpose, so that she becomes an Everywoman, leading droves of female fans to identify with her, and thus, establish an even stronger connection to Edward or Jacob...and ultimately, purchase more t-shirts, keychains, and Burger King cups in the name of otherworldly love.

Moving on...

2. Neosporin. This may be the weirdest 1/5 of a five faves list of mine ever, but I'm going to have to give a shout out and a sincere thank you to this antibiotic ointment.
For some reason, I've been particularly accident prone this week, and I'm full of scrapes and scratches. It's nuts. Neosporin to the rescue. I'm so lucky to live in the age of antibiotic ointment.

3. La Musica. Lately: Dashboard Confessional, The Bravery, new Vampire Weekend, Conor Oberst, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Owl City, and Shiny Toy Guns. I've also been revisiting The Specials and Dance Hall Crashers. Ah, to be young(er) and yearning to breathe in a mosh pit again.

4. Joyride. This new Collage Press line is starting to pop up here, there, and everywhere, and it is redefining the term "Christmas line" for me.
It's all about the oh-what-fun-it-is-to-ride-AND-also-to-scrapbook-with-papers-that-I-can-use-again-even-when-Christmas-has-passed. The B-sides of the patterned papers are awesome. Trust me on this. One of them has an excerpt from Pride and Prejudice. Enough said. This week, I've been playing with the new line (and yes, playing is the best word choice; it doesn't feel at all like working). Next week, the CP blog will feature three days of Joyride projects. You will LOVE what the team has been doing with the line.

5. The Honest Truth. "You're the best, Ms. Sprott!" Today I heard this more than once from my students, and all that I could think was (1) True, and (2) More, please. It was a good day. :)

Have an awesome weekend!


2 comments:

  1. OMG!I love that paper! I cant wait to see New Moon myself :)

    ReplyDelete