Friday, January 8, 2010

Five Faves Friday


(1) After-Christmas Sales and True Values. Over the break, Z and I cleared her drawers and closet of all the clothes that don't fit her any more, and she had barely anything left! She's no longer shopping in the girls department; nope, she's graduated to junior sizes now. So what did that realization mean for us? Firstly, it meant a much-needed shopping trip, and secondly, it meant sifting through a fair amount of hoochie-rific clothes in junior sizes before finding something that she could still be a GIRL in. Seriously, what is UP with the styles in junior departments? Last year I was purchasing clothes with polka dots, ruffles, and daisies on them, and now I'm supposed to be buying halter tops and heels for my daughter? Nuh UH!

So I should get to my "favorite" part, I suppose. After what seemed like a hopeless endeavor, we finally found some really cute clothes (just when I thought that our days of "cute" clothes had ended), and ON SALE, too, at 50% and 75% off. It was awesome. We had to search a bit to find them, though. All of the sexy, please-impregnate-my-teenager clothes were put up front, and the cute, my-daughter-might-actually-retain-her-dignity clothes were waaaaaay in the back.

(2) Studio Calico's Whodunit Kit. This came in the mail yesterday, and it is easily one of my favorite SC kits EVER. Isn't it a beauty? I also got the "In the Billiard Room" add-on. Those wooden letters -- need I say more?

These also came with my kit:
I have so many ideas for these Report Card Wild Cards from October Afternoon. Aren't they great? I've been wanting to document more school days, past and present, and these are perfect.

(3) CHA Sneaks. It's that time of year again, and there have been so many sneaks circulating. Here are a few of my favorites:

Lily Bee Design (I've had a peek at what's to come, and it's really SO very quite wonderful.)

I also know that the Collage Press Starlet line is on its way -- can't wait!

(4) In Love. I've been having fun cutting out hearts in all shapes and sizes lately. Coming to a layout soon:
(5) Thee, Thy, Thou. This week I started my Shakespeare units with my seventh and eighth graders. Seventh grade reads A Midsummer Night's Dream and eighth grade reads Romeo and Juliet. We always begin with a study of a few of Shakespeare's sonnets, so that students are familiar with his language and can practice paraphrasing. This is one of my favorites:

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground.
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

The way that WS plays with language and upends cliches always leaves me smiling -- and that final couplet? LOVE it. It's a poetic boo-yah. Pablo Neruda does something similar here, and I love it EVER so much:
My ugly love, you're a messy chestnut.
My beauty, you are pretty as the wind.
Ugly: your mouth is big enough for two mouths.
Beauty: your kisses are fresh as new melons.

Ugly: where
did you hide your breasts
They're meager, two little scoops of wheat.
I'd much rather see two moons across your chest,
two huge proud towers.

Ugly: not even the sea contains things like your toenails.
Beauty: flower by flower, star by star, wave by wave,
Love, I've made an inventory of your body;

My ugly one, I love you for your waist of gold;
my beauty, for the wrinkle on your forehead.
My Love: I love you for your clarity, your dark.

7 comments:

  1. Love some of your faves Jill! Love that SC kit & those new CHA peeks! Love WS & PN too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. I love your blog so much. And I'm way jealous of the flashcards. They were sold out by the time I got there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with the clothes selection! it's hard to get decent clothes for Neha now and she's only what? 9!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your faves!!! and definitely agree with you... can't wait to see everything and the yummy cha goodies... ps. lovin the sneak on the CP - can't wait to see the entire layout **wink**

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your favs, totally agree with the CHA list. Good luck with the Shakespeare unit. My boss started her ed career as a HS lit teacher and often quotes sonnets and other pieces at random moments. Can't wait until UPS decides to stop making exceptions and deliver my kit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i <3 all of these! your blog makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way about shopping in the junior section (I'm small so I check out both juniors and womens). It's scary. Love your list and your quotes from William S, English minor here, although with my shorthand on the net, you'd never know it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete