Sunday, January 17, 2010

Good Gravy

Yesterday, the focus was on paper,
and today, I am ALL about food.

I don't have a chance to cook -- really cook -- too often,
due to a busy work week,
but on the weekends,
I try to cook at least one "big" meal
(meaning something that takes more than hour to prepare)
to remind my family that I'm still a keeper.

Today, I prepared roast chicken, my favorite home-cooked meal.
It's actually relatively easy to do,
and oh, does it make me happy.
It's the perfect meal:
roast chicken and gravy,
roasted carrots and potatoes,
and green beans with bacon and onions.
The chicken is mostly based on Ina Garten's recipe
from the first Barefoot Contessa cookbook,
with a few variations
(like adding chicken stock to the pan prior to roasting).
I only serve about half of the gravy,
because I end up licking the rest right off the spoon.
The carrots and potatoes are pretty basic,
and the green beans are based on a Rachael Ray recipe.
I love these green beans, and to me, they're perfect with chicken,
but Z doesn't like them at all, and Rob thinks they're just okay.
So what does that mean? More for me!
The highlight of the meal wasn't actually the food itself,
but those for whom it was prepared.
The most important part of any family meal,
after all,
is the family that shares it.
Well, that, and gravy.

1 comment:

  1. Confession: I have never made gravy and have never roasted anything besides vegetables.

    Your finished product looked delicious, though.

    P.S. I'm trying a new scampi recipe tonight. Something to look forward to at the end of a long Monday.

    ReplyDelete