Saturday, January 2, 2010

How to Be

There are many ways, I suppose,
that one can actually embrace a new year
and truly make it "new."

I guess hurling firecrackers at it
or eating at a buffet stocked with enough food for 365 days
would be two possible approaches.
The first leads to wheezing, though,
while the second leads to heartburn -- trust me on that.

I'm actually feeling most hopeful about the year ahead
thanks to the layouts that I've been working on over the past week.

A few days ago, I created a layout about resolutions,
which helped me to really define what it might mean
to achieve a greater balance in my life.
It reminded me of what my principal likes to remind us of frequently --
our very lives are prayers. We lift them up as prayers.

Then yesterday, on the very first day of the new year,
I found myself standing at the kitchen sink
when a thought popped into my head:
I spend too much time focused on becoming rather than being.

By the end of the night, thanks to
I created a layout that helped me to clarify and shift my way of thinking
about what it means for me to "be" truly present in my own life.

Here's to fresh starts, and happy scrapping in the year to come!

11 comments:

  1. What a stunning page! And a great idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! I LOVE your work...You are truely an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every page of your just amazes me. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your layout is stunning! I love your blog header, isn't Wordle such fun? Thanks for visiting my blog and your sweet comments about my puppy photo :) Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the page!! And your choice of word, I also need to attain some balance, it's hard!! Happy 2010!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi jill!! i just wanted to pop in and say hi.. your blog is awesome, i LOVE that layout!! :)

    <33 happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. now, that is a GORGEOUS page. i LOVE it. and what great inspiring words shared! thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMAZING sentiment. Love and adore the layout too! I think I spend a lot of time becoming instead of being as well. It's time to stop and smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so beautiful. I've been wanting to play.. maybe I should stop procrastinating.

    ReplyDelete