Sunday, January 31, 2010

Soon.

Sorry for being AFK for so long -- it's been a busy week. I'm just stopping in to share a quickie layout that I put together last night using the January Studio Calico kit, some of the new BG Sugar Rush paper, and one of my favorite Sweet Vintage flowers. I always thought that the
"they grow up so fast, don't they?"
line that grown-ups exchanged so often
once upon a time
was just a form of small talk,
but parenthood has taught me
just how much truth is in that statement,
and just how wistful-achy it is to say
with experience behind it.

We spend our youth wanting to grow up,
to become who we are supposed to become,
and then we grow up to look back,
to wonder at the paths we took,
and the pace we took,
and we hold on tight to our children's youth,
because we know what happened to our own.

Yet as nostalgic as I can be,
I'm also filled with such profound hope
watching my daughter grow.
I know that it's not just her youth that's precious,
but her entire life,
and as an adult,
she's going to do incredible things.
So even though I'd like her to move forward slowly,
I know that it's my job to help her to move forward surely.

Oh, parenthood,
you've made a schmaltzy mess out of me.

4 comments:

  1. i love this jill - love the quilted look at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your recent LOs are totally making me swoon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is breathtaking, my friend. YOU blow me away, every single time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great layout and I love your "words" on parenting! So true!

    ReplyDelete