Sunday, April 11, 2010

Framework

"If the world could remain
within a frame
like a painting on the wall
I think we'd see the beauty then
and stand
staring in awe."
-- Conor Oberst


Describing my style has always been a challenge for me.
Recently, though, I think I've found a word
that works for me: convergence.
In the Create Well, Create Often feature a few weeks ago,
I was asked to describe my style,
and "convergence" is the term that came to mind
(likely because I was teaching about plate tectonics that week -- ha):
My pages tend to be thematic -- there’s always a message or a central emotion that I am trying to capture. I don’t really plan my pages in some kind of scholarly fashion, designing them to have some kind of symbolic resonance, but they usually end up working out that way. Maybe as an English teacher, I’m just programmed to think in layers of meaning. To that end, I find that I can’t just grab a product and use it -- there needs to be a purpose for it, a reason for including it on that particular page. I suppose my style can best be described as a form of convergence, pulling together “telling” bits and pieces until they click for me, until they all say what I want them to say.
The page above is an example of this, I suppose.
It began with a photo of Z at the Academy of Arts
with this beautiful wall "framing" her just so
(and making me question
that opening line of Frost's "Mending Wall":
"something there is that does not love a wall").

As I sat down at my desk
and held the mirror/frame stamp
from Scrapping Bella in my hand,
something clicked:
frames...framing...what do frames enclose?

Conor Oberst clearly had the answer.
I don't often use quotes on my pages,
but these words were just right.

I used the patterns and trim
to create another kind of "frame",
and although the final result isn't perfect,
it wasn't perfection that I was after --
just the click, the convergence, the coming together,
working within a frame.

7 comments:

  1. beautiful work and a great blog post. you really have me thinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful page and description of your style. It's always interesting to hear about other's processes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the sweet comment:) Elizabeth was a great teacher--or at least, I liked her a lot because she liked my writing my little workshop group thought it didn't have enough action in it:) She was pretty shy in the beginning, definitely that more reserved style. Really great though:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love how you used the stamp and the colors.. another gorgeous one. always love stopping by your blog... so much inspirations :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. such an interesting stamped frames background to go with the lovely pic !! such an artfully thought thru design , Jill !

    ReplyDelete