Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Ain't No Party Like My Nana's Tea Party


This has to be
one of my favorite Flight of the Conchords lines ever.

It also happens to be true:

Yep, my grandmother is ninety years young,
and beautiful and spirited as ever.
We should all be so lucky and so blessed.
She says that she still feels sixteen on the inside,
and the older I get, the more I know what she's talking about.

It totally reminds me of the story "Eleven", by Sandra Cisneros:

What they don't understand about birthdays and what they never tell you is that when you're eleven, you're also ten, and nine, and eight, and seven, and six, and five, and four, and three, and two, and one. And when you wake up on your eleventh birthday you expect to feel eleven, but you don't. You open your eyes and everything's just like yesterday, only it's today. And you don't feel eleven at all. You feel like you're still ten. And you are -- underneath the year that makes you eleven.

Underneath those ninety years, sixteen is there,

wide-eyed and wondering,

what's next?

Ere I go,

I need to give it up

to these Hearty Cuppycake stamps

from Stamping Bella,

and to the ever-lovely papers

from The Girls' Paperie.

Definitely swoonworthy.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE your words tonight Jill, thank you. Big fan here of Sandra's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. saw this over at stamping bella blog... and just love it! the gorgeous colors and especially how you managed to fit in so so so many pictures!!! looks super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of my absolute favorite quotes ever. Are you an English teacher by any chance? I was an English lit major in college and I am so passionately in love with it....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, fun page!! :) (And tea party, looks like!). Cuteness, all around!

    ReplyDelete