Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Dog Days of Summer

One of the best things about being out of school for the summer is getting to spend my days with my "girls"-- my daughter and this sweet dog-child:

I put this together using Shimmerz Vertigre Vibez (which is featured on the Shimmerz blog this week) and 4 Leaf Clover Spritz, Lily Bee patterned paper and chipboard flowers (can't get enough of those), Sweet Vintage fabric flowers (a serious addiction), and bits and pieces from past and present Studio Calico kits. I wanted this layout to be outdoorsy, a little rough-and-tumble, but ultimately sweet and endearing, like my furbaby.

To create the background, I folded the patterned paper into squares and sprayed the Shimmerz on the folded edges and on some of the surfaces of the squares (in a few areas I used the doily as a mask). To create the areas where I wanted the creases to be emphasized, I sprayed some of the Vertigre onto the bottom of a cardboard box (to reduce splatter), and then dragged the folded edges of the paper through the liquid. I then unfolded the paper and smoothed it a bit.
Although this didn't really come through in these photos, one of the things I like most about Shimmerz is the subtle shine that appears once it is dry, and sure enough, this shiny happy puppy is living proof of that.

12 comments:

K said...

That layouts is gorgeous! I love the little details!
Your puppy is adorable!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Stephanie said...

Seriously, Jill? You blow me away. FANTASTIC!

Tonya said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! The almost monochromatic colors are scrumptious!

Sarah Webb said...

Gorgeous. Gorgeous! Sigh.

Keshka said...

Love this page! The clustering is wonderful, and I just love the colors!

vtpuggirl said...

Just a gorgeous page! Love all the little perfect details. I so agree about Lady Gaga. :)

Ursula said...

Yep, I'm in love with this layout. Just beautiful! So glad you shared this fabric, rosy, green goodness!

Jody said...

Stun-ning!!!!
You blow me away, seriously :)

Jen said...

This layout is brilliant!

dannisdoodles said...

wow, absolutely amazing layout jill, love the pic of your sweet pup & love, love all the florals & the shimmerz on here, brilliant!

sarah said...

so incredibly cute! LOVE this one.

hugs,
sarah.

Valerie said...

Brilliant folding and misting technique!! Love it!