Sunday, November 14, 2010

Baby Steps

I am card-challenged.

I can count the total number of cards I've made and shared on one hand,
seriously.

I'm not sure why I find card-making so intimidating.
It seems simple, on the surface --
a few scraps, maybe a stamp, a couple of letters,
maybe a little stitching here and there.
When making cards, though, I don't really feel
the same satisfying "click"
that I feel when creating layouts.
Maybe it's because cards need to remain simple,
and I tend to work in layers.
Cards seem to involve a "cleaner" process,
and I am all about the mess.

In any case, whatever the reason for my card-phobia,
I pushed through yesterday
in order to create a baby shower card for a family friend.
I used some Studio Calico stamps
as well as bits and pieces from past SC kits.
I riffed on an idea that I'd seen way back when
on the Kenner Road blog,
piecing together strips and sewing over them.

Amazingly, the mommy-to-be liked it! She really liked it!
So maybe I'll attempt another card again,
and start counting on my other hand.

7 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. My card making skills are pretty much nil. Love this yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Barb. I can't make cards.

    Your card sure turned out great, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also struggle with cards, but I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may struggle with cards, but this is simply lovely AND it can go in the regular mail without any extra postage (due to major 'lumps'). This is cute and inspiring! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this card and don't think you are card- challenged at all! Everything you create is amazing! Cards are easier for me for some reason - a smaller canvas to fill up!
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course she loved the card, you can do no wrong, it is gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete