Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Nocember Devember

November 30? December 1?
In no time at all,
November gave way to December,
JUST as I was getting used to writing
11/10 rather than 10/10.

The change also happened without bringing me
my JBS December kit. Waah.
Why hast thou forsaken me, Mr. Postman?
Actually, after seeing the December JBS kit,
I suppose I can understand
how it might have become "lost" in the mail.
Hopefully I'll receive it in time to contribute to the the mid-month gallery,
but in the meantime,
do join me in drooling over these brilliant pages and projects.
I KNOW, right?

I do have a Lily Bee page to share, though, ere I go!
I created this layout to show my love and appreciation
for one of my favorite people in the whole wide world, Laverne.
She and I taught next door to each other for seven years,
and although we were co-workers,
I think of her as my teacher, a mentor
who showed me that teaching really is a calling.
Every day she says "yes" to that call.
In fact, make that an emphatic "YES!"
That's how much she loves teaching.

In case you would rather not go blind

trying to decipher the words on this layout,

this is what she taught me:

that to speak of dreams

is not to succumb to rhetoric

but to embrace an untapped power


that in a teacher’s gentle cursive

both hand and heart send a message


that teachers must keep growing

if we expect our students to do so


that there are other ways to be heard

aside from raising one’s voice


that while we cannot control

what happens outside our classrooms,

we can control what happens inside them


that the details, facts, and figures fade

but the memory of being loved remains


that we are human, imperfect,

and if we are honest about this,

then we are ready to teach others


Yep, I got schooled,
in the best possible way.

2 comments:

Gloria said...

Wow Jill, I adore this layout, it´s gorgeous, and what a great tribute to your friend/teacher, awesome words! TFS

Carrie said...

I just found your blog and it's lovely....all your projects are soooo beautiful!!! How do I become a follower?

<3 Carrie