Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ten Layouts, Three Resolutions

It's amazing to look back through the layouts created 
during the course of a single year.
It's gratifying to recognize that I am still growing creatively,
still learning, and still making mistakes that often end up being happy accidents. 

Some of my favorite pages are the ones that came together organically.

1
This year, I became a lot more comfortable with layering, sewing, painting, and misting,
and with really putting myself out there on the page. 
Self-portrait pages are difficult, because there is always that awareness 
of posing and composing oneself that can lead to being tongue-tied
and sometimes being shallow or trite or vague. 
Keeping it real on the page: that is what I hope to do more of in 2011. 


2
This was one of the most honest pages I've made,
because it reflects my flaws and fears
but it also shows that I know better than to let them subsume me
or to allow them to define me or limit me. 

3
I would like to think that I grew creatively this year
because of my experiences working with various design teams, kit clubs, and manufacturers. 
Work and play converged for me in the best of ways.
In March, I was asked to be a guest designer for Freehand Scraps,
and I really felt great about the pages that I created with the kit.
This page was my absolute favorite. 

4

2010 was also the year of three amazing surprises that happened back-to-back.
First, I was asked to be a guest on the JBS Inspiration blog 
(for which I created the layout above),
and shortly after, I was asked to be the JBS Mercantile October guest designer.
When I was asked to join the JBS team, I could not believe it.
I am still reeling! 

5
So many of this year's layouts 
also capture the gratitude, love, and joy
that are at the center of my life.
This Lily Bee layout is one of those. 
It has heart, so to speak. 
I think it also shows another scrap-habit of mine
that has become more common -- 
I've been adding more dimension here and there to pages.

6
Aww, kissy kissy.  Ooh, and misty misty. 
I have so few pages that feature both my husband and me.
There's my second scrappy resolution for 2011:
create more pages about The Love. 

7
Sadly, this is one of the last of the Collage Press pages
that I created this year.
We had a good run, though,
and I will still be hoarding a bunch of this lovely paper for years, I'm sure.
This layout definitely showcases
the misty/painterly/stamp-happy side of me.
I remember creating this page and thinking,
"I'll just try it. Whatever."
That "whatever" is a powerful word, taken seriously.

8
This is one of my favorites of the year,
and I hope it will be one of my daughter's favorites forever. 
It was inspired by a magazine feature in In Style magazine, as I remember,
but I just sort of ran with it and did my own thing. 
This also features one of my favorite lines from the year, 
from The Girls' Paperie. 

9
My mother-in-law came to visit in the summer of 2010,
and we had such a wonderful time. 
We went to Matsumoto's for shave ice almost every day while she was here,
so how could I not create a page to capture that delicious memory? 
I so dig this shave ice border/banner.  Sweet. 

10
This is one of my most recent pages, which I created for the Shimmerz DT, 
and it's the perfect place to end this top ten list,
as I think it demonstrates where I am right now 
in terms of
where my heart is
and where my style is. 
This page is so me.  

I wonder where I will find myself next year at this time?  
Scrap resolution three:  keep wondering, keep exploring, keep keeping on. 

15 comments:

  1. These pages are amazing. Thank you for sharing the inspiration! I can't wait to see what you create in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your style, but that second page really stands out! Thanks for sharing :)

    -papirdiva.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are absolutely gorgeous and as always there's just so much inspiration and love love love your style and work!!

    and a very happy new year sweetie!!
    ps. are you going to CHA??

    ReplyDelete
  4. as always your work as really inspired me this year. Happy New year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your collection here. These days is definitely in my favorites! I'm inspired to try and do more self portrait layouts this year. They are indeed intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your style always blows me out of the water. Love these so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your work so much, Jill! You are so inspiring. Hope you have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can never get enough of your awesomeness - thanks for bringing it all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jill. oh how i adore your pages and the memories you document. you are an incredible artist... looking forward to seeing all that you create in 2011!! cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love all the misting and layering...your pages are awesome!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jill--- I just love your style!! You really want to make me create. Wishing you a happy new year;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. all of these pages are stunning, gorgeous, amazing, beautiful artwork ..hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your creations are GORGEOUS...and love your resolutions too.
    Happy New Years to you! xoxo
    Loves,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your picks for 2010! Your work is just gorgeous, and I love your style! My favorites are the multi-photo layouts, as this is something I strive for in 2011. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete