Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fri-Satur-Sunday

The minutes seem to pass differently on weekends.
There's a certain golden something about these days,
that seems to fade right around 7:00 on a Sunday evening,
and becomes a grayish ugh-ness soon after.
There's a sulky kind of optimism
that accompanies the onset of Monday,
brought on by the knowledge that another weekend will come around
but that a barrier of days and routines must be crossed to get there.
We keep moving forward until Sunday,
and then look back for a moment
and sigh...ah, weekend memories...

Even though I wasn't feeling well for much of it,
I had a good weekend -- a colorful weekend, in fact.
Traffic was nuts on Friday afternoon,
but I made it home to catch the tail end of the first day
of the Jenni Bowlin online crop,
and to post my Vintage Memories challenge.

The challenge is to create a page using a vintage photo,
and/or to incorporate the words of an older family member.
I shared my grandmother's recollections of her plantation childhood.
Years ago when I was in graduate school,
I took a life writing seminar, and one of the course's projects
was to compile an oral history.
I focused on my grandmother, who is pictured below with her mother:


The voice in the journaling is hers and hers alone.
The words are unedited, so her voice really comes through.
She uses pidgin (or Hawaii Creole English) a lot,
which I know that some regard as "broken English,"
but it's the sound of home to me, a mother tongue.



If you're interested in the challenge,
it will remain open until 7 p.m. CST on Sunday, March 13.
One winner will receive a $10 JBS gift card,
so if the whole documenting-precious-family-history thing
isn't incentive enough, there is that. :)

On Saturday, my daughter and I both volunteered
to assist with the science symposium on campus.
I hosted in one of the presentation rooms,
where I was lucky to attend a session about
the Hawaiian monk seal, sponsored by NOAA.
I learned so much, and the speaker, Shelley Steele, was incredible.
I've encountered a Hawaiian monk seal before, actually.
It was snoozing on a beach at Turtle Bay.
They really are beautiful creatures,
and it's so sad that they are a threatened species.
I also snagged a much-coveted "Science is Cool" NOAA tote bag.
Score!
My daughter assisted her science teacher (pronounced "her hero")
in a Diet Coke-and-Mentos demonstration,
illustrating the concept of nucleation.
Three times throughout the day, cries of "WHOOOAAH"
could be heard across campus.
I had the honor of accompanying the sticky lab assistant home.

Saturday afternoon and evening I became one with my computer
in an almost Tron-esque encounter,
chatting for about six straight hours on the JBS message boards.
It was really fun, especially when it came time for our Bingo game.
"BINGO or DIE!" is the unofficial motto of the crop, methinks.
You had to be there.

I simultaneously chatted and scrapped, taking part in a few of the challenges,
like Lisa Dickinson's Color Challenge, which was to use brown, turquoise, and ivory.
I also made use of some of the goodies in past JBS kits:



The mist above is the product of some mad science.
Waleska, Doris, and I were chatting about mist recipes,
so I combined some Stick Candy, Soap Powder, and Spice Tin,
with a wee bit of Lemon Drops ink, and ta da!

Before the evening ended, Doris declared
an impromptu 45-minute card challenge,
with some parameters:  three buttons, four stars, and one Bingo card.
Here's the product of my mad rush:


I took the pic in a frantic "I-have-two-minutes-left!" fit,
so you can't quite see the word "Days"at the bottom.

Sunday morning I stopped in at the crop to check the threads.
I think my two favorites are "Post Your Oldest Layout" and
"Post Your Oldest Layout With Your Oldest JBS Supplies."
Sticker sneezes abound!
Well, you know, there ain't no school like old school.

Sunday afternoon was dedicated to the kidlet
and her extra credit project, an island scavenger hunt.
She has a list of locales and landmarks where she needs to be photographed.
We did the North Shore experience in a couple of hours this afternoon,
starting with the Dole maze...
with a little detour to our favorite restaurant, Cholo's
(best salsa and enchiladas EVER)...

and on to Waimea Bay,
where we had to park illegally so that we could get this quick photo...
and then on to Matsumoto's Shave Ice,
which is on the list, but would have been a requisite stop regardless...

and the way home?
It was lined with rainbows.
Not a bad end to a weekend!

9 comments:

  1. OMG I just adore your style !!!! those papers are sooo yummy ....are they Jenni Bowlin???
    love the way you use them ..you are definately the queen of text paper ... big hugz x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW what a weekend. Sounds like you had so much fun!!!! TFS pics o fit. I love your projects for the challenge & I think Im' still going to participate in that vintage photo challenge. I have been wanting to do this so it will give me a push!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful blog post, Jill. I missed the bingo, darn. It was a great crop this weekend for sure.Your pages are fabulous as always. I loved seeing the pics of your daughter - she seems to be having fun. I especially like the pic of her looking through the shave ice hole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed the crop this weekend - looks like a lot of amazing layouts happened! Love your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great weekend! My nephew did his science fair project on geysers using mentos and all different brand of sodas. The kids loved it at his school, too. Your layouts are wonderful! Beautiful photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, shave ice. Love these layouts--especially the way you used the SC frames!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't even know where to start. Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness! what a gorgeous life you live. :)

    -doris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh darn that I didn't run into you in most of the places you stop with your daughter! I was there at almost all places two weeks ago. We came to Hawaii from AZ for a week and I have been a fan of your scrapbooking! WE went to get shaved ice because you did a layout on that a while back! lol

    ReplyDelete