Thursday, May 5, 2011

Lately-ing.

Lately I've been...


...reading Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried with my juniors and Aldous Huxley's Brave New World with my seniors.  I've never taught these books before this year (though I have taught O'Brien's "How to Tell a True War Story"), and it has been a refreshing experience to discuss them with my students for the first time.  Both books seem to speak to Ezra Pound's view that "properly, we should read for power.  Man reading should be intensely alive.  The book should be a ball of light in one's hand."   


...listening to Eliza Doolittle, Lenka, Grizzly Bear, Athlete, The Strokes, and The Naked and Famous.  I heard Grizzly Bear's "Two Weeks" for the first time the other day and had one of those epiphanic, oh-how-I-love-this musical moments.  


...reveling in the loveliness that is May at JBS Mercantile.  In just the past few days, the gallery and the blog have been bursting to full with gorgeous layouts and projects. This month there is also a special stamping emphasis on the blog.  We started on May 1 with a feature about four different ways to use the JBS butterfly stamp, which is easily one of the prettiest pieces of acrylic I've ever held in my hands.  I took a vari-colored approach:  


...trying to make more home-cooked meals, attempt new recipes, and eat healthier.  On the menu: baked salmon, green beans, cherry tomatoes, and brown rice.  I've been kind of blah lately, and I think that a change in diet is in order.  I can't wait for summer, so that I can start exercising more regularly, too. 


...celebrating my daughter's graduation from the eighth grade.  She's had an amazing year, and has grown in immeasurable ways.  It was a lot to ask of her to switch schools this year, but we definitely made the right choice.  


...having a blast working with my October Afternoon goodies and Kinsey Wilson's GENIUS sketch.  I finally got around to scrapping my photos from our visit to Savannah, Georgia.  


...watching Community.  Paintball!  It's on!  No really, it's on -- right now. I'm off! 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jill! I didn't realized you were a lit teacher too! I teach in France! I love your layouts , great and creative as ever! this multicolor butterflies are so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the stamps of butterflies It is very beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the coloured stamping Jill! The butterfly is gorgeous :)
    The second layout is awesome. I love how you've placed the photos on the page, it's such a great design i think i'll be pinching it:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, thanks so much for your sweet comment on the JBS Blog about my Customer Spotlight feature. As a huge fan of your work, your words meant a lot to me. Love what you did with the butterfly stamps, I've never tried this technique before but you've inspired to give it a go. Have a great NSD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In love with your OA layout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When does summer start for you?
    We're working through June 10th. It's possible I have counted down the days. ;)

    ReplyDelete