Saturday, June 25, 2011

Opah!

One of my summertime resolutions was to cook a lot more often than I have been (which should be easy, as I don't cook very often on weekdays during the school year).  So far this week, I've been having fun in the kitchen, and my family (and my tummy) love me for it.  We've had baked salmon with roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts, roast chicken and gravy (mmm...gravy...) with roasted carrots (and leftover potatoes), and lasagna with garlic bread. Good eats.

Tonight, I made furikake crusted opah.


Our favorite restaurant used to be Brew Moon, until the menu started to change, the quality started to lag, and the restaurant closed.  For years, though, it was an amazing restaurant, and easily, next to the beer crackers (and, my husband would argue, the beer), the best item on the menu was the furikake crusted opah with beurre blanc sauce.  A few months ago, I saw some opah in the market, and decided to improvise, based on a memory and a hunch.

It turned out wonderfully, and it came together so quickly.

I dip the fish in some egg, and then coat it with a mix of panko and furikake.  The fish is seasoned with some salt and pepper, and pan fried in a little bit of butter and olive oil.   Once I flip the fish, I usually add a little more butter and another sprinkling of salt and pepper (just a little).  I remove the fish from the pan when it is done, and then add some white wine to the pan to deglaze it.  I pour the resulting "drippings" over the fish, and serve the fish with some rice, bok choy, and snap peas.

It's a perfect weeknight meal, since it takes only minutes to prepare (although if you want it with rice, like we do, you'll have to wait for the rice to finish). Altogether, though, from the point you turn on the rice cooker, start the fish, and throw together some vegetables, you'll be eating in about 30 minutes.

I'm not sure what's next on the menu.  I want to push myself to try new recipes, especially ones that can come together quickly.  This way I'll have a repertoire of recipes to draw upon when summer ends and the busy school year begins again.   Any recommendations?  I'd love to hear what's cooking in your kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. yum! yum! At the moment I'm cooking my way through Jamie Oliver's book "Jamie Does" and it's superb! I highly recommend it if you're looking for a new cookbook to buy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Opah! I thought you were celebrating in Greek! LOL Now I'm dying to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So YUMMY! This looks and sounds FANTASTIC!
    Thanks for sharing!
    xx
    Loves,
    K

    ReplyDelete