Sunday, July 24, 2011

Longing for The Open Road

I know, I know, I know. 


I live in Hawaii, and I should know that the grass really isn't greener on the other side.  It's as green as it gets here.

Still,  sometimes I wish I lived on the mainland, so that I could just get in a car and drive.
And drive.
And drive.
(And not in circles.)

I love road trips.
I know some people (like my husband) aren't really fans of road trips, but I am all for the idea of exploring new terrain (with A/C, a decent soundtrack, and a stash of junk food) and seeing with fresh eyes.  I get a kick out of silly billboards.  I delight in crossing state lines and seeing "Welcome to..." signs.  I'm fascinated by bridges.  I study the surface of lakes, rivers, and swamps, wondering what kind of life teems beneath, wondering where they begin and end.  I marvel at seeing how others live, how they create their own homes and spaces and communities, how they find ways to adapt to the land and the weather and each other.  I'm amazed at how each town and each city has its own personality, its own identity.  I'm fascinated at seeing how the past and present intersect.

I hate the idea that to take a "real" road trip, I have to pay big bucks for a plane ticket first.  Even if I could afford the plane ticket, I am not a fan of planes.   Give me the open road over the wild blue yonder.

Maybe the beauty of a true road trip, or any travel that places us in a position of having to find our way in the world, is that it presents us with the ability to forget ourselves; we are out of our element, unable to orient ourselves based on what is familiar.

That was the one distinct time in my life, the strangest moment of all, when I didn't know who I was — I was far away from home, haunted and tired with travel, in a cheap hotel room I'd never seen, hearing the hiss of steam outside, and the creak of the old wood of the hotel, and footsteps upstairs, and all the sad sounds, and I looked at the cracked high ceiling and really didn't know who I was for about fifteen strange seconds.  
 -- Jack Kerouac, On the Road

A few years ago we traveled from Florida to North Carolina, but only recently did I document our journey in one of my October Afternoon CHA layouts, using the new Boarding Pass line.


I'll have more CHA shares for you soon!

11 comments:

  1. YOU LIVE IN HAWAI!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh I would dream to go there!!! but then I understand what you mean about road trips and the grass been greener elsewhere!! if ever you plan a long travel to France, why not swap our home for a holidays!!
    I adore this grid layout! amazingly detailed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO miss road-tripping. I adore driving at night, listening to some great tunes and eating pretzels and beef jerky. :)

    I think when the girls get older we'll rent an RV and go cross country just to torture them. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adore this and can't wait to see it in stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great LO! Love the arrangement of pics and paper with all the cool embellishments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I dearly love about your layouts (amongst many reasons) is that you can cram so much onto them to tell your story so beautifully and yet they never look crowded. It's probably your ourstanding designers eye. Whatever the reason, I always love your work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never considered the "no road trip" aspect of living in Hawaii.

    Road trips are one of the greatest things about living in the Midwest. I could seriously drive forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like a road trip myself, I never thought of that being a drawback to living on an island. I just think of the higher prices and eating Spam!!! Maybe we will just visit and not move when we retire. I enjoyed reading your post. This is a great page, I'm hoping to learn a lot by becoming a 'follower'. Found you at Jenni Bowlin Studio. ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. When people ask about moving from hawaii to the mainland, I always mention how it was CRAZY to me that you could just drive and drive and not end up with the fish:) And I do, to this day, love road trips! Do you live in Honolulu, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great, creative twist on the ever-popular banner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how cool it must be to live in paradise. I hear ya about the road trips though. I love those too.
    What a cool, cool page :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! I am a huge fan of yours and just love every single project you make. You never cease to inspire us, your readers.

    I know you are a goddess in scrapbooking and quite a busy crafter but if you have some free time, please drop by at the Nook and say hi. We have an ongoing DT call and it would be thrilling if you can tryout and be part of the team.

    DT CALL - http://myscrapbooknook.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?25-Nook-Design-Team-Call!

    ReplyDelete