Saturday, October 8, 2011

Remember Me?

I've fallen off the radar this week, as you may have noticed, judging my lack o' posting here.  It's been a hectic week, but a good kind of hectic.  All week, students have been in and out of my class at recess, lunch, and after school, since this week was their last chance to submit any absentee work, make final revisions to essays, and take any missed quizzes before the official end of the first quarter.  I've also been working with the speech team members, who had their first meet of the year today.  They did so well, and supported each other wonderfully.  It's going to be a good year. 

At the moment, though, now that all deadlines and competitions have passed (for now), I finally have a chance to be still, and it feels...odd.  The adrenaline rush has subsided, and I am sort of dazed.  Luckily, I now have time to pay attention to my much-neglected blog, and I have a scrappy share for you! 

Wednesday's October Afternoon blog post from fellow design team member Stacey Kingman featured the new October Afternoon fabric.  Stacey challenged me to create a layout incorporating the fabric, and I was all too happy to comply.  I worked it in on the background of a layout about my great-grandmother. 


This layout features a story that has been told in my family for three generations.  


The idea of my great-grandmother's ghost visiting my aunt used to frighten me when I was little, but as I got older, I came to understand that this was less of a ghost story and more of a love story.  My aunt swears that it was not a dream, and though I cannot say for sure whether I believe in ghosts or not, something in me believes this story.  

10 comments:

  1. I already pinned this layout in OA blog. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very eye-catching layout. I especially like the button cluster. And that tiny, pretty butterfly!

    I like your ghost story. It's the comforting kind of ghost story, not the spooky kind. It reminds me of the stories in the book _Forever Ours_, by coroner Janis Amatuzio. A good read. She collected stories like this from the families who came to her office. It's interesting how many people have had experiences like this--where the spirit of a deceased relative appears to them in order to bring comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, you can know and believe that story 100%. Those whom have loved us (and we them) in life do not stop loving us after death. A beautiful layout to treasure that story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An absolutely beautiful LO! I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful layout! I love the way you did the journaling and the cluster of buttons. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is great! Love the stacked journaling tags and the buttons! Great white space too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so beautiful, I love the yellow and all of the buttons. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous, Jill. I love the yellow color scheme and the buttons are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. there is nothing on this layout that i dont love.............i love each and every piece!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is one beautiful layout. And a very lovely grandmother too. Loved reading the story

    ReplyDelete