Friday, December 30, 2011

New Year's Scrappy Resolutions

Can you believe that 2012 is just a few days away?
Cards from the JBS Mercantile 12/29 blog post.  


I've started to think about my scrappy resolutions, which are WAY more fun to come up with (and stick to) than regular resolutions.  Healthier diet?  Getting fit?  Going for a walk or run daily?  Sure, let's do it!  Then one gust of cold winter wind hits me as I am tightening the laces on my sneakers, and the next thing I know, I'm huddling on the couch under a blanket, watching TV and carb-loading to create more insulation.


But scrappy resolutions? Those are can-do resolutions. Want-to-do resolutions.


Last year, I came up with three of them, and I think I did a pretty good job sticking to them:


(1) Keep it real on the page. 
(2) Create more pages about The Love. 
(3) Keep wondering, keep exploring, keep keeping on. 


This year, I have decided that I will renew these resolutions, since these are not tasks that are meant to be accomplished, as in finished-done-over with, but rather, they are shifts in priorities and perspectives, and I want to continue on this trajectory.  I have also decided, however, to add another goal to the list for 2012:


(4) Work through my scrappy "bucket list," creating pages and projects that I tend to put off because they feel a little too significant, too monumental.  If not now, then when, right?  


Curious about what other scrappy-minded folk were planning for 2012, I started a thread on the GS board at Two Peas in a Bucket.  Now I am thinking I need to expand my creative goals for the year ahead -- or maybe find a way to incorporate some new approaches and ideas into my existing goals.


On that thread, more than a few people have brought up "PL," or "Project Life," which I had seen from time to time through 2011 as I visited some of my favorite blogs, and which I truly started thinking about when Marcy Penner shared some of her incredible pages.


Then I visited Stephanie Howell's blog, as I do practically every day, and what did I find?  She's gone all PL on me, too.  And so has Celeste.


As I am thinking, oh, I don't know, I'm just so busy, I'm not sure I can make it work, Stephanie shares a link to Lisa Truesdell's blog post about how PL is totally doable, and it's over for me.   As I read her words, Lisa scoots over on that crowded bandwagon to make room for me, and reaches out to pull me up from where I have been pacing behind it, panting.  Everyone on the bandwagon begins to chant:  One of us, one of us, one of us.   And I want to surrender.  I really do.


So maybe PL is a possibility.  We'll see.  I'm not really a fan of templates, though.  I know they make everything easier, but I like the idea of being able to riff a little.  I was also thinking of working with a smaller format.  Hmm...then again, one year I did 12-on-the-12th, and the template really made the whole process much more efficient. 


How about you?  Any scrappy goals for the new year?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not big on message board posting, but I did read some of it. I like your list, especially about not skipping the monumental stuff. It is so hard to do, but you are right! Also, the love. It's so weird, but I get embarrassed. I mean, I'm not forced to post pages online? Weird, I know.
    And, I can also relate to your PL dilemna. I like fast and easy, but I don't love templates. Stephanie, Lisa, ali, etc are so inspiring; but I don't like following the crowd either. Sigh...so all I did was buy a few journaling cards. I will not be doing a formal PL album, just a few weeks/months here and there. Ok, sorry for the super long comment. That is all. HAppy New Year friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd love to see what you do with PL!! =)

    i find that the more you work w/ the divided pages, the more you realize the possibilities. there is something insanely rewarding about filling each of those little pockets with snippets of life. it's way less overwhelming than putting it into a page format.

    ReplyDelete