Tuesday, January 10, 2012

(P)noticed: 10 on the 10th

1. Pin:
Melinda Tidwell
2. Passage:   
     I am living in the Google years, no question of that.  And there are advantages to it.  When you forget something, you can whip out your iPhone and go to Google.  The Senior Moment has become the Google moment, and it has a much nicer, hipper, younger, more contemporary sound, doesn't it?  By handling the obligations of the search mechanism, you almost prove you can keep up.  You can delude yourself that no one at the table thinks of you as a geezer.  And find the missing bit is so quick.  There's none of the nightmare of the true Senior Moment -- the long search for the answer, the guessing, the self-recrimination, the head-slapping mystification, the frustrated finger-snapping.  You just go to Google and retrieve it.  
     You can't retrieve your life (unless you're on Wikipedia, in which case you can retrieve an inaccurate version of it). 
     But you can retrieve the name of that actor who was in that movie, the one about World War II.  And the name of that writer who wrote that book, the one about her affair with the painter.  Or the name of that song by that singer, the one about love.
     You know the one. 
-- from I Remember Nothing, by Nora Ephron (2010) 

3. Picture:  
My mom, on her honeymoon, circa 1971.
4. Person:  

Corrie Jones.

5. Problem:  

I can't clean my house without messing it up again.  When my house is organized, I can't seem to find anything.

6. Process:  

I always fidget with my hands when ordering at drive-thru windows.  Why? 

7. Product: 

It is only January, but I am all about the V-day products already:
More details and a supply list are available at Two Peas in a Bucket.

8. Pleasure:  

There is a point in the wee hours of the morning when my bed is at its comfiest and warmest.  Unfortunately, this moment occurs approximately one minute before the alarm goes off.

9. Post: 

"Do Teachers Need to Relearn How to Learn?": "If we are not independent learners, how can we expect our students to be?"

10.  Present:

I watched The Emperor's Club when it came out in 2002.  Today I watched it again, this time with my daughter, while we huddled on the couch together, having caught the same bug.  So many of Mr. Hundert's words to his students resonated with me:
- "Aristophanes once wrote (roughly translated): 'Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.'"
-
"Great ambition and conquest without contribution is without significance.  What will your contribution be? How will history remember you?"
-
[Quoting Cicero] "Not to know what happened before you were born is to remain forever a child." 
I also love what his students share with him at the end:
- "A great teacher has little external history to record.  His life goes over into other lives. These men are pillars in the intimate structure of our schools.  They are more essential than its stones or beams, and they will continue to be a kindling force and a revealing power in our lives."  
Good teachers matter.

P.S.  After I initially posted this, I discovered (via Doris's post today) that Shimelle has a "10 Things" post each month, too. The idea is to post ten things -- any ten things, re: any topic -- on the tenth of each month.  I guess this means I'll be making a habit of this!

4 comments:

  1. you are so inspiring to me, Jill!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jill, i love reading your posts! i admire so much the way you can put words together. no wonder you are known for your journaling.
    your LO makes me happy! i love the colors, the stamps and especially the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me laugh - I agree with many of these things! I am the same with mess- I like a messy scrapbook room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first visit to you via Shimelle's ten on the tenth, your post is fabulous. I can relate to many in your list but have to go with eight today. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete