Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Gardeners' Digest: February Blog Hop



Welcome to the Gardeners' Digest, a monthly update from the Garden Girls, the design team at Two Peas in a Bucket. We'd love it if you'd visit each of our blogs today to see what's in bloom in the Garden.  


My most recent Garden project features my three favorite subjects: 


These are my three people: Rob, Zoe, and Mazie.  And yes, I am aware that one of these people is indeed a dog.  She clearly thinks of herself as a person, and she certainly takes up a person-sized section of my bed each night.  
More detail photos and the full supply list can be found with the original page at Two Peas in a Bucket. 
I have been playing with dimension on layouts lately, and when I saw these Jillbean Soup tags and glanced over at my circle cutter, I knew just what I wanted to do.  I couldn't resist the idea of lovely little gatherings embedded throughout the layout.  Pink can be a challenge for me to use on layouts, but the kraft tempers its impact.  


I know I'm not the only Garden Girl who's had love on the brain this month.  One of my favorites from this week's Garden updates is this layout from Amy Tangerine: 


Bright spots on a neutral background: I am so feeling this right now.  I love the hand-stitched tag, the photos arranged in a grid, and the charming little details.  


Of course I did notice that Amy worked in some new CHA goodies here, like the Dear Lizzy Neapolitan line, which was included in the happy mail I received today from Two Peas.  


"Dreamy Days" Dear Lizzy Neapolitan Paper
(I have big plans for this one!)
Dear Lizzy Neapolitan Fabric & Epoxy Brads Embellishments
(The green heart in the middle is my favorite.)
The box I opened this afternoon also included something I've been eyeing since the CHA sneaks were released:
American Crafts Gardenia Tarragon Medium Clothespins
At first glance at the CHA pics, I worried that these might be a little too big for a layout,
but now that I've seen them up close, I think that they could totally work on a layout.
They're about 1/4" (width) x 1 7/8" (length).
I'll put them to use soon and will be sure to share!  
These buttons were in the mix as well, and they are begging for me to pull out the paint and mist and give them scrappy makeovers: 
Wood Buttons Gardenia Elements
I was also stoked to finally get my hands on this little beauty, which I've been coveting since I saw it appear in the Two Peas store: 
Recipe Card Wood Stamp by Ink + Wit

Aside from lots of new products, there's even more that's new at Two Peas in a Bucket.  A new "Workshops" section is joining the "Classes & Events" section at Two Peas, and the very first workshop is...
That's right!  Garden Girl Shimelle Laine is the instructor of the Two Peas in a Bucket debut workshop, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to Scrapbooking."  If you have taken a class from Shimelle before, or have watched one of her many videos on Two Peas, then you know you are in for a treat.   
Here's the course description:
"Are you drowning in a sea of scrapbook supplies and a plethora of photos, but wish things just came together easily?  Then 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to Scrapbooking' is just what you need: your guide to life, the universe and pretty paper! Join Garden Girl Shimelle Laine for this self-paced workshop you can use any time.  Over five chapters, she'll share forty-two brand new scrapbook pages and easy-to-follow advice on choosing supplies, designing pages, embellishing your work and writing your memories.  Each chapter includes a printable PDF and coordinating video, plus the guide's bonus reference section includes sketches, supply lists and other handy hints.  Designed for scrapping at home or at a crop, The Hitchhiker's Guide to Scrapbooking reminds you: Don't Panic - get crafting!  
The lessons are available for you to work at your own pace and upon purchase can be accessed in the 'Workshops' section under 'Classes & Events.'  A private message board forum is also available to ask questions for Shimelle and to connect with other participants.  Enjoy!"
To thank you for visiting today, I'd love to offer you a chance to win FREE access to this workshop.   To be entered to win, just leave a comment sharing the best piece of advice you've received as a scrapbooker.  


Of course, if you have already purchased the class, you will have a chance to either receive a refund or "regift" the spot to a friend.  I will draw the winner from comments that have been posted PRIOR to 11:59 p.m.  Hawaii time on Friday, February 24.  The winner will be announced on Saturday, February 25.  

[ETA: The winner has been selected.]

The next stop on the blog hop is Julie Campbell (whose embroidery hoop card you must see, so be sure to scroll down a bit after reading the blog hop post).  

Thanks for stopping by! 

74 comments:

  1. Best piece of advice: "Don't count on anyone else for your happiness."

    Would love a spot in Shimelle's class! Thanks for the chance to win a seat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your layout. It's gorgeous!
    Great inspiration and supply picks, too! The best advice I've ever received as a scrapbooker was actually from my NON scrappy husband. "Don't worry so much about what other people like and concentrate more on what you love." Thanks for the chance to win Shimelle's class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't remember where I heard this but when I'm wasting too much time trying to find the "perfect" embellishment or paper or whatever for my page, I remind myself that the supplies aren't what is important; the memory is. Love Shimelle's classes ~ thanks for the chance to win a spot in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My best advice rec'd KISS Keep It Simple Stupid!!!
    Would love a chance to win

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh love your LO!!! Best advice...you should try scrapbooking, you will love it! They were right!!! Thanks for the chance to win :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for the opportunity!
    Best piece of advice:
    Always include journaling. Makes the pages much more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best piece of advice: "Have fun! And don't compare your work to others'" So freeing once I decided to take it.

    lenainwonderland (@) gmail (.) com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love your LO! And I have been eyeing those clothespins since the sneak too :P

    Best advice: Make pages you love. Noy what you think other people will love
    2Peas UN: kethry70

    ReplyDelete
  9. I worked with cut outs but in digital scrapbooking pages but never try on traditional... definitely I must to try it! =) Thanks for the chance and for show us your favorite stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the best advice I've received as a scrapbooker is that you don't have to follow anyone else's rules; there are no "rules" in scrapbooking. This is very freeing, and allows me to try new things and take risks with my designs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jill,
    This Gardener's Digest has been very inspiring, and I'm sorry that I missed last month's hop. I love the circle cut-outs and dimension on your beautiful layout! The best piece of scrapbooking advice was: It ain't over 'til the journaling's done. Thanks for the chance to win Shimelle's new workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the layout! my favorite advice I ever got while scrapbooking was "crop out the crap" (crop down the pictures and you don't have to use all the pictures).

    ReplyDelete
  13. The best advice I've received is that every layout does NOT have to be a masterpiece. Sometimes you need to just accept a layout and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those american crafts wooded buttons. I've taken a class with Shimelle and loved it, will you each be taking a class?

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Just do it"...don't wait for the perfect day or photograph or new supplies or quiet space or to start from the beginning...just get scrapping.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post - love seeing your beautiful pages and learning about new products! Best advice that I've gotten is to date my pages. I'm glad I've done that for all my pages!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best piece of advice? Embrace imperfection.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My best scrapping advice was received when I first started scrapping. I was told "There are no rules, just scrap to make yourself happy. What you make does not have to look a certain way to make it right." Perfect advice.
    Love Shimelle and would love to win her class. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. best advise for scrapbooking was "anything goes"

    Thanks for a chance to win a spot on shimelles class :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohmygosh, your page with the kraft tags is just perfect. I love it. My best piece of advice, indirectly came from you, I think. 'Use it once, use it twice'. I always felt like my pages were under-embellished, but I am getting over that these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best piece of advice: Do what you like, not what you think others will like.

    Would love to win this - thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think the best advice I have ever gotten is a simple one, but it does a lot for me. A completed layout is better than a layout that is perfect but only 99% completed. It wasn't actually said to me that way...but in so many words :)

    dyaritz

    ReplyDelete
  24. Scrapbook where you want to! Don't feel like you have to start at the beginning--enjoy it! :)
    thanks for a chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Best Advice - just cut the paper - you can always get more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. 'Done is better than perfect' or as my friend at school says 'Done is the new perfect'! Would love to get some pages done with the help of Shimelle.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The best advice I've ever received is to quit striving for perfection on each project. BEST. ADVICE. EVER. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVED your lo. Those circles are great!! As for advice, my dh always tells me to use my own ideas and not to depend so much on others...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Best advice "don't measure it, just use your eye!" which is fine unless you end up teaching it as a class and quoting % of inches! Thanks for a chance to win a place on Shimelles latest class
    Ann (mafswife)

    ReplyDelete
  30. So much great advise, but "tell the story you feel like telling, and don't worry about scrapping chronologically" really resonates with me!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I totally love the recipe stamp! I should buy it for my son who is taking cooking in HS. Best advice - do what feels right to you, don't worry about anyone else's opinion but you're own

    ReplyDelete
  32. The best scrapping advise I ever received was to be yourself. Your pages are your own so just enjoy making them in your own style.
    Jetsettingchipper

    ReplyDelete
  33. Best advice: Have fun and there's no rules in scrapbooking!

    ReplyDelete
  34. use your own handwriting. i love the look and a unique part of you will be saved for posterity.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Best advice, Make it they way you like it, cause it's your book in the end! Love Penny Scrap-aholic@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Best advice I got as a scrapbooker was that in the digital photography age, there is absolutely no way you can scrapbook every photo you take. Scrapbook the stories and photos you love.
    Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  37. The best advice I've ever received was Stacy Julian's advice to let to of the need to scrap every photo and to be caught up. I left chrono scrapping behind and am totally free to create what Io want.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the layout! My advice was to just go with it on your layouts

    ReplyDelete
  39. hmm the best advice I've received is that every photo doesn't have to be scrapbooked. allow yourself to scrap what you love and put the rest in photo albums. the world will not end if they are not all on a page :)
    thanks for a chance to win
    2Peas name:brmartin thanks for sharing love you layout the holes and the kraft paper were an awesome choice.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Fabulous page. Love the peeking patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Shimelle's clas Pretty Paper Party talked about mixing papers from different manufacturers and that some are cream based and some are white based. This totally changed my scrapping technique and made it easier for me to mix and match my odd assortment of papers.

    Fab layout and I love that one with the negative circles.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Best piece of scrap-advice I've had is to take a relaxed approach to it. Especially for me, I tend to make a 'must-do' from everything, instead of a 'want-to-do' approach. So for me, less obligation, more relaxation en enjoying it;-)

    That's also one of the reasons I'd love to participate in Shimelle's class, since it's a self-paced one. Perfect for me!

    2Peas username: Sparklin

    ReplyDelete
  43. Best advise, "Don't worry about your layout being perfect! Just do it - you can always cover up a boo-boo with a tag, a flower, or a bit of journaling!" I sometimes have trouble remembering this and my layouts flow much better when I do. Would love to win a spot in Shimelle's class!

    ReplyDelete
  44. It comes from the lady herself Shimelle: Don't wait for the right time to use your favourite piece of pretty paper, because by the time you do... you won't like the paper as much as you used to and will end up giving it away.

    Hugs,
    manic_ant

    ReplyDelete
  45. Best piece of scrapbooking advice I have gotten: you don't have to scrap in chronological order-scrap as inspiration strikes!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love Shimelle's classes, thank you so much for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  47. That LO is fabulous! Best advice - just do what you love and be happy with that. Shimelle is so inspiring, and would love to take her class. Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  48. best piece of advice, tell the story before it is lost for ever. Thanks for the chance to win such a great class

    ReplyDelete
  49. Best advice was to find my own style. Still not sure I completely have, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  50. love shimelle's clases and i love that you cut into the tags on your lo.
    2peas: jpineda77

    ReplyDelete
  51. Best piece of advice: take as many pictures as possible because you'll cherish these moments forever. Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Goethe.
    Hugs & Aloha.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I guess the best advice I've received is "Be yourself!"...

    ReplyDelete
  54. Best advice was to join the world of scrapbooking!!! Cute ideas...definitely need this class

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love those little wood buttons! Your sneak is fantastic! I swooned! I would love to win a spot in Shimelle's class! Thanks for the chance to win1

    ReplyDelete
  56. Best piece of advice I received as a scrapper " There's no right or wrong to scrapbbok. Do what you like."
    Would love to win a spot in Shimelle's classQ

    ReplyDelete
  57. Love what you've done with the tags, will definitely be trying that soon! Best piece of advice I've been given: Either tell or pretend to tell someone about your photos, then write it down as your journalling.

    ReplyDelete
  58. aloha jill. Love the negative space tag use; I'm lifin it!

    ReplyDelete
  59. The best piece of advice is not to work about getting caught up or staying chronological. I'd love to win Shimelle's class, I'm a huge fan.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hmmm...the best advice I've ever received as a scrapbooker was today on an episode of Paperclipping Roundtable, and it was actually from Shimelle, so how cool is that?

    She talked about being willing to throw a scrapbook layout away if it's not working and not making you happy. She said that you can always re-do it with re-printed photos, and that totally frees me up to play more and go ahead and scrap those wedding photos already. :)

    Thanks for the chance to win!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  61. I loved that layout when I saw it on Two Peas and love it again today! Best Advice - they are your albums...do what makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  62. The best piece of advice I received was - no matter how angry, messy, awful - take a photo!

    Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  63. hmm... best advice would probably have to be not to worry about how many albums you have or where they are going to end up, but to just enjoy the process of creating them!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Colored Clothespins! Never seen them, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Great layout...love the kraft and the circles!
    Best piece of advice: "remember to date and add who's in your photos!"

    ReplyDelete
  66. Best piece of advice - Find your own style and do what makes you happy :) Shimelle's class looks amazing! I would love to win! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  67. First off OH MY GOSH your layout is AWESOME! Now as best advice I've heard it's do what you feel comfortable these are your memories you are documenting whatever makes you happy is what is right.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I can't choose the BEST piece of advice I got about scrapbooking, but I can tell you the advice that I find myself repeating - it doesn't have to be perfect - stop buying & use what I have in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  69. You can make lots of things from those staffs. The buttons are so pretty.

    Plastic Card
    Discount Card Printing

    ReplyDelete
  70. Best advice: These's no wrong way to scrapbook.

    ReplyDelete