Monday, March 12, 2012

(Selective) Spring Cleaning

Apparently I can earn a bonus point in Calvinball for tidying up my scrap space.  Initially I just sort of laughed off the point, given that I don't so much work around messes as I do from them.   This week, though, I decided to find out what was in the bottom layers of my stash, and to do that, I had to clean. Since the extra 0.5 bonus is dependent on before and after pics, I suppose that I must share the eyesore that is my scrapping space with you:

BEFORE

AFTER
No matter how much cleaning or organizing I do, though, I will never quite "pretty up" my space.  I scrap in a corner of my living room, so there's not much wiggle room there.

Do you think that our scrap spaces influence our styles?  I tend to get a lot onto a single page, and I wonder if that's just because my layouts are a product of their environment.  What say you?   Does your scrap style reflect your scrap space?  I'm curious to know whether there's a connection.

5 comments:

  1. My layouts tend to be simple and linear but my scrap space looks a lot like yours! I scrap in my dining room (I like to be in the middle of our family space, not off to myself) and my scrap "stuff" gets spread around everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good question. It's funny, because even before I read that comment I was thinking "her space reflects her scrap style"! Truly!! And I do think that's true to a certain extent. But perhpas it's more reflective of where we are mentally, artistically, aesthetically, disciplinary that applies to both our environment and our scrapping styles?
    Anyway, wherever and however you create you continually amaze and inspire me. It's been such a huge privilege to be scrapping 'alongside' you this month for JBS. Thanks for your kind words of support. I truly appreciate it.
    xxx
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do think my scrap space is reflected in my work because I tend to reach for what's handy, what's lying on my desk, what I can see pretty easily. I may know I "have the perfect something" but if it is buried and I have to go look for it I am less likely to use it (or at least only spend a short time looking for it before I choose an alternative).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...I think my space does! I mean, I like to have things out where I can see them, and the same goes for my pages, I guess...lol. Stuff everywhere! I have most of it hidden under my desk due to lack of table-top space, but when I work I pull it all out and cover every surface...he he. Love your clean space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very interesting question! My space tends to be neat and tidy now - at least in between projects and my style tends to be more graphic/clean/neat currently. In a previous house, I was much more messy and I think my layouts had more bits and pieces on them. Funny thing is I've liked both styles. And I've never truly settled on a style, but I'll have to give that some more thought.

    Another interesting idea to add to the mix - does the location and access of your scrapbook table and supplies affect how much someone scrapbooks? Your post has me wondering, as my room and supplies are in an out of the way place that I don't really enjoy and I haven't been scrapbooking as much since being in that space. Hmmmm.

    Great question! You've really got me thinking about what I can do with my supply set up and my actual location to affect my scrapbhooking!

    ReplyDelete