Friday, June 22, 2012

Gardeners' Digest: June Garden Girl Blog Hop

Welcome to the Gardeners' Digest, a monthly update from the Garden Girls, the design team at Two Peas in a Bucket. We'd love it if you'd visit each of our blogs today to see what's in bloom in the Garden this month -- and what a month it is!  I don't know about you, but summertime scrapping is really the best scrapping of the year for me, and so far this summer, I have been in the zone.  Do you know that zone?  The I've-been-wearing-pajamas-all-day-wielding-a-scissors-and-covered-in-mist-while-fawning-over-paper zone?  Good times.  
 
My most recent layout is the product of one of my pajama-wearing days (man, I love summer!).  With the Fourth of July holiday just weeks away, I couldn't resist creating a layout about that special day.  I hope you'll like the full layout when you see it (it'll be in the gallery soon!). 
Here, I used numbers as a design element, enhancing the theme while putting my number stickers to good use.  I also had some fun with the journaling -- when you see the layout, you'll know what I mean.  

If you're planning a Fourth of July layout and you need some product ideas, check out this helpful compilation on Two Peas.  Almost everything that I used on this layout, including the JBS Wren paper, can be found there. 
Another aspect of summertime scrapping that I love is being able to "pea" more often than usual, since I'm on break from school. There is so much ingenuity and color and playfulness and heart to be found lately in the galleries at Two Peas.  In fact, all of those things can be found in the pages of new Garden Girl Marcy Penner.   Just look:  
Marcy's pages demonstrate that she has mastered the art of subtle contrast.  There is often  a lot of white space and a sense of boldness present on her layouts, but at the same time, there are clusters that reveal her eye for detail and nuance and layers that urge you to take a second look.  She combines a clean, graphic style with softened, sweetly mussed-up edges.  Alongside her trademark ink splotch "signature" (it's like a scrappy fingerprint -- I love it!) she also delivers a bit of the unexpected.  For instance, the arrows at the top of the layout are delightfully startling, and the title is a crafty and charming addition.  She's just so good.  Can you tell I'm a fan?  
Another perk of summer scrapping? The summertime releases!  Yesterday I received a box bursting with scrap-me goodness, including...


New Mister Huey's mists from Studio Calico
Heyday from Studio Calico (which fans of Sassafras will absolutely love)...
"Bouncy" patterned paper from the Pebbles Sunny Side collection (don't you love this B-side?)...
American Crafts "Memo" Thickers (I'm a fool for text-patterned everything)...
and the perfect beach layout paper -- "Coronado" from the American Crafts Shoreline collection.

To thank you for visiting today, I'd love to offer you a chance to win a $5.00 Two Peas gift certificate.  To be entered, leave me a comment sharing your ideas for new collections you would love to see, given that CHA-Summer 2012 is just around the corner.  As for me, I would love to see something with a techie theme -- you know, mouse, keyboard, monitor, laptop, cell phones, binary code, emoticons, status update stickers, "like" and "unlike" stamps, etc.   Ooh, and more green.  Lots and lots of green.  Be sure to post your comment and pea name by Sunday at 6 p.m. HST, and I'll pick a winner shortly thereafter. 


Onward with the hop: your next stop is the blog of new Garden Girl Marcy Penner!     

57 comments:

  1. My idea for a collection is "nothing too nice". I must stop shopping!! =)
    scrapnatya/2 peas name

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like a girl themed line that isn't primarily pink/purple. 2peas: mprantner

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to see what's next! I'd love to see some more vintage boy-ish collections. :)

    Melissa33

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see a vintage papers inspired collection

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to see more navy blue patterns - a nice deep navy... :>)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see blues and warm tones for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to see more primary colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe a collection that has more unusual colour combinations would help me experiment more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe a colection that has unusual colour combinations would make me more adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would be fun to have more styles of washi tape :) Thanks for a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to see more teen themed collections. Most of my grandkids are in that phase now. I love all the collections that feature vintage images too.We can never have enough Dick and Jane characters, old toys etc.Thanks for a chance to win.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! A tech-themed collection would be wonderful! I would also really love something library/book inspired! Lots of text, books, library cards, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to see a teen boy collection with a variety of things - driving, cars, sports, video games....in some great bold colors. sheltieluvr

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'd like to see more word dies since i don't have a cameo. 2peas name: swiley

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to see more red. a good red is a hard color to find. I want a true red!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhhhhh, now my wish list just pilling up. I'd love to see more word dies too. I am big on typography.
    My 2peas name is sj95014

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to see the rest of your layout! Love the bits that I see. Love your picks! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would like to see something marriage but not wedding related. :)

    -Caitlin
    caitlinetgray@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd like to see more boy stuff, I have tons of girl stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  21. More vintage!! ;)
    machellenelson6 on 2peas

    ReplyDelete
  22. More vintage!! ;)
    machellenelson6 on 2peas

    ReplyDelete
  23. hmmm I'd like to see more purple and of course can't wait for those Halloween Collections! oh and a new theme that you don't see to often. I like you idea of techy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd love to see more vintage stuff and graphic papers :)
    bikeller on 2peas

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm always up for papers for boys that aren't childish or "typical." I LOVE Rocket Age from October Afternoon and all kinds of blue and green patterned papers.
    jengd @ 2p

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love me some yellow right now and any wood veneers that SC wants to make.

    Name: keddypea

    ReplyDelete
  28. An idea for a techie theme would be to have elements that play on augmented reality. (Do a google search for yelp augmented reality for example). it would be really cool to have dark transparent stickers with phrases like "where I ate" or "favorite place".

    Also another suggesting would be a "Pin-it" sticker.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'd love some great school and soccer themed collections. I do so many pages about school events and soccer games and am always looking for different supplies. Also a girl themed collection that is feminine but not frilly and a older teen/college age collection.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am excited to see more awesome lines from Echo Park, studio calico and october afternoon. They never seem to dissappoint me! Thanks for the chance to win. Twopeas user breezestg

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'd love to see a Book Lover Collection. 2Peas name is linalexhag

    ReplyDelete
  33. Denim themed collection. 2peas name: senoritascrapper

    ReplyDelete
  34. More adult themed items, food, wine, empty nest

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love graphic designs. A collection of graphic design papers in different colors would get straight into my cart:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. My pea name is kharkov. I'd love to see some products with a Russian theme.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I would love to see a gamer (video, computer, etc) collection. My hubby plays a game on the computer and I never know how to scrap it!

    2peas:iggyboo32

    ReplyDelete
  38. As a private pilot with my own lil airplane, I am often scrapping my various flying trips and adventures....always on the lookout for more 'flying' themed items. (Not airline!)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I like your idea for a "techie" line! As a family with several computers & itouches, it would certainly have plenty of use. My 2peas name is GAmes56

    ReplyDelete
  40. I would love to see more fall themed items. I feel that Fall is somewhat overlooked. Also maybe a collection that sets a new trend taking over chevrons & hexagons.

    2peas: cutiephinphin

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am nirupama01 on 2peas. I was just going to tell you that I love that coming soon pic and just cut up that yellow shoreline AC paper today in a lattice pattern...so far so good. As far as new collections, maybe some ikat patterns or crewel work type pp?

    ReplyDelete
  42. I always love more travel stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I always love more travel stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I would love the computer/website/techie/gamer idea. But I have to use my stash first! Thanks for the chance to win!
    (username = undertaker)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love the new mists by SC I'm zgagi at 2peas.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I would love to see a kids at play line.

    scrapbooker1030

    ReplyDelete
  47. YES! Like and unlike stamps would be awesome what a great idea!

    I want a good Christmas line. I haven't seen one I love for almost 4 years :(

    ReplyDelete
  48. I always love something new that's blue.
    kmwwrench

    ReplyDelete
  49. I would love to see more of the yellows (my favorite color and I'm loving all the beautiful collections lately!)
    2 peas name: meredemaison

    ReplyDelete
  50. There are so many collections out there. I think I need a break to catch up with all the collections.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love you're techie themed idea!! Sounds cool!
    I would love to see something nautical with navy, red, yellow and cream or white.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Love to see more parrot/pet bird themed items.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I would really like to see more of the vintage look too! Thanks for the chance
    Pea name dmoore1823

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love the techie idea too. Also,looking forward to some new Lily Bee collections. I love their subtle pattern papers.
    2 peas name: Miss Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  55. Your idea is great of techie collections, I will love to see more man or boy collections.

    My pea name: garlandandrea

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hmmm I know I am too late to win, but your question was such a good one!! I would love more "tween" like themes. My kids are young, but not babies.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hmmm I know I am too late to win, but your question was such a good one!! I would love more "tween" like themes. My kids are young, but not babies.

    ReplyDelete