Monday, June 4, 2012

Staycation

At the end of every school year, the most popular conversation among students and faculty members begins with, "So...do you have any plans for the summer?"

This is a conversation I have never quite enjoyed.  

This year, alongside the usual "Disneyland" or "Disneyworld," I'm hearing "Paris" and "Scotland" and "China" and "South Africa" and "Australia" and "Thailand."  Z even has a friend who will be traveling throughout Europe with her family -- again.  That's how it came across, as in, "I have to run down to the store -- again", or, "My heartburn is acting up -- again." Europe. Again. 

As for my family, our plans are usually the same: we stay at home and enjoy our vacation right here.  Again. :)  We do live in Hawaii, however, so it's not as if we're having a pity party.  We may not travel, but we still have the beach and the blue sky!

Still, I wonder how people do it.  Where do these travel funds come from, anyway?  Do you have any idea how high a mortgage is here in Hawaii?  "Disposable income" is not a term used very often 'round these parts, especially among teachers, so each time I hear about a teacher traveling, I always wonder whether she or he is subsisting on saimin throughout the year to save up for this travel budget, living rent-free in a house paid for by wealthy parents, or married to someone who earns three times as much.

I priced tickets to London the other day (just to see if my bucket list item could become a reality in the near future), and almost fell over from the shock.  I have come to realize that yes, the whole wide world is waiting, but it's not readily accessible to just anyone.

So it's a staycation for us again this year, and I'm cool with that.  I am all for sleeping in and trying new recipes and lazing on the couch reading books and heading to the beach whenever I feel like it.  That's not a bad way to spend a summer, am I right?

Z and I had some practice staycationing back in April, when we stayed at the Hawaii Prince Hotel for a weekend.  I documented our little adventure in a layout from this week's Garden at Two Peas in a Bucket.  
More details and a supply list may be found at Two Peas in a Bucket
So...do you have any plans for the summer?  :)

13 comments:

Tina said...

I love this Jill and feel the same - I'm not sure where the money comes from - but I definately don't have it. :) Staycation for me too - maybe a weekend trip to Southern Utah - but that is it. Thanks for sharing the layout - love it!

corrie said...

I love the staycations. They rock.

Diana Waite said...

LOVE this layout--TOTALLY amazing! I don't know what planet I've been living on but I didn't realize that you lived in Hawaii! :) We are around here too for the summer--should be HOT! :)

Stacy said...

I don't even get a summer vacation to pffft to you! lol We love staycations and eating out at Cafe Zippy's. :)
You really should use some of your carefree days to hang out with me. Perhaps a zumba session one night? I'll buy you cake and ice cream.

Laura O'Donnell said...

my daughter's friends take trips all over the world, too (sigh)

this layout is gorgeous! your staycation looks like it was lots of fun

Kelli said...

I'll try to believe that your staycation is real, in Hawaii!!!! LOL But we are in VA...and we are going to a cabin about 2 hours from here, but my kids totally here it too from their friends at school, Europe, Japan, Hawaii, Disney...etc, etc. The list is long. We are going to a cabin, 2hours away, and guess what kinds...sans media! LOL No, it'll be good! But I'm with you...where are the funds to hop on a plane to San Fran (that's my bucket list :))

Wendy said...

Okay we need to do a swap...i live an hours train journey from london...how about you live at my house for two weeks and i live in yours as where you live is where i have always wanted to go.........a dream holiday......please!!!!!!!

kim said...

I understand what you mean, we were planning some kind of Caribbean vaca but with summer camp and swimming classes and um eating, we just can't this summer! We'll pull something out of the hat somehow! Great layout btw!

Mel said...

I'm an English teacher too and so I know what you mean. In the past I had been able to say Thailand, Malaysia, California etc but now we're kinda staycationing in that my husband is Belgian and so we are going to visit them (from England!) It's a pricey business travelling and I seemed to have more spare when I was young and single and just rented a cheap room in Leeds!
Love the staycation layout - may have to try this.

Queen Mary said...

I DO have summer plans -- finding a job! DH is a teacher and I've been recently "separated." I confess last summer we went to Ireland (to watch our son play in a US v. Ireland croquet tournament) and then to Italy, where we stayed with my best friend from high school. Lots of advance planning and careful choices! Like Corrie though, I love staycations -- they are so much more relaxing! :)

Debbi Tehrani said...

Staycations are the best! Love your page, Jill! So many fun touches on this fab twist on the grid! Hope you have a happy summer break!

non-fat-caramel-gal-about-town said...

I quite like staycations...good job really as we don't seem to be able to afford our many jaunts like we used to! Funny that you were pricing up London (I am in London)... I have always wanted to visit Hawaii but its astronomical ££!
Nice blog btw :)
PS You're not missing much...it's currently lashing down outside and gale force winds. In June.

AJ Reddicliffe said...

Someone (can't put my finger on it :D) once said 'there's no place like home.' And I agree too. Mind you, if *I* lived in Hawaii... ;)