Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Words to Say It: A Peek at My Process

Last July, I was putting the final touches on my class for Miss Art's Papercrafting School, "The Words to Say It." This July, however, Miss Art's owner Alyssa McGrew bid farewell to the company. I am so grateful to her for giving me the opportunity to teach my first scrapbooking-related class online. With the closing of Miss Art's, she has also graciously permitted designers to share their projects, so today, I'm happy to give you a peek into my journaling process.

Lesson 1, "Show, Don't Just Tell," focused on how to journal meaningfully on event layouts. I started by pointing out that "our gut reactions are to generalize, to put out the who-what-when-where-why-how and have it done with." I attempted to move beyond that, to focus on incorporating sensory language in journaling.  Here's a clip from the class video (apologies for the not-so-great quality; the videos didn't convert very well):
Here's the resulting layout: 
Lesson 2, "Repeat, Repeat, Repeat," considered the value of adding repetition to journaling, to make it resonate. I also talked about how it's perfectly fine to wait until the end of one's process to compose the journaling.   Here's a clip: 
Here's the layout, incorporating the journaling:
Lesson 3, "Make It Meaningful," focused on how to make journaling multi-layered and meaningful through the use of symbolism and metaphor, composing journaling to work in tandem with other elements on the page.  The lesson demonstrated how to speak about one thing (the self) in terms of another. In the case of my self-portrait layout, I spoke about myself in terms of books, language, pages, and writing. The more I worked on the layout, the more I realized that I, too, was a work in progress, and that became the central metaphor for the layout.  I shared a few pages from my "poem a day" (actually, "a poem whenever") journal, and used one of those poems as a springboard for the journaling. Here's a clip:
Here's the finished layout:
Thanks for visiting today!

4 comments:

  1. Love these pages- my laptop is being dodgy so I can't see the vids right now but will watch later on the better laptop. I am planning to make a video later this week - my first - eek! Great ideas for journalling - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some fabulous pages and tips! That class is sure to teach a lot of scrappers some neat tips! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just fabulous videos. I've pinned this just to remind myself to keep on coming back to them for reference. I for one am always seeking to add meaningful journaling to my layouts. Thanks for sharing some of your ideas and processes on how you constantly achieve this. I'm so in awe and inspired right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are AWESOME videos. Is there still some place to access the class? Also is there a way to subscribe to your blog via email? LOVE this! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete