Friday, August 17, 2012

Five Faves Friday (and Six-Word Memoirs)

(1) Long weekends.  This one is four -- count 'em, FOUR -- days. Granted, much of that time is already spoken for, but living without an alarm clock, if only for a single morning, is my idea of bliss. 

(2) Pop dots.  I can't seem to create a layout lately without using at least one (or two or ten). My favorites are American Crafts foam circles tabs.  I don't have to struggle to separate them from their backings, and they come in various sizes, which means they work well with giving a boost to teeny-tiny pieces and large sheets of cardstock alike:
I created this layout for a challenge post on the October Afternoon blog. The challenge?  Let your patterned paper inspire the title of your layout (and the same paper should make an appearance on your layout). I used a sheet of Guest List patterned paper from the Cakewalk line, along with a heckuva lot of OA washi tape.
P.S. Right now there's an awesome giveaway on the OA blog: a Studio Calico kit is up for grabs!

(3) Six-word memoirs.  My students composed these this week, and I am just in awe. You can see a few of them here.  I spent some time one night toying with the concept, and this is what I came up with for my own six-word memoir:
It's true. I've been going to school each morning since preschool, summer breaks excepted (and sometimes, even then). I've also never stopped learning, so I suppose that even if I didn't enter an actual school building each day, this would still be true.

I also came up with this one:
No normal for me, thank you. 
It's a tribute to my nerdlet self, past, present, and future.

The best one belongs to Elvis Costello:
Every day I write the book.
(And yes, I can see that the title in the video is just five words long, but "everyday" is an adjective, while "every day" is the proper use. Nerd moment concluded.)

(4) Deborah Harkness.  I loved her book A Discovery of Witches, and now I'm reading the second book in the series, Shadow of Night.
So far, it's captivating, giving me hope that another one of the six-memoirs that I was considering just might have been heard by the universe:
Searching for a page worth turning. 
(5) The Newsroom.  This show is just so good.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I love the cut-out holes and the fun, party feel to the whole page. Great layout with lots of photos. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this list Jill! :) I'm dying to read the next witch book, but I'm on the wait list at the library.. boo.

    ReplyDelete