Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Multilingual Wednesday

When I used to teach Greek mythology to my middle school students a few years back, I would always compile a list of English words that have their origin in Greek myths.  One of my favorites was "tantalize." It just doesn't seem fair that a word that is so much fun to say has a rather cruel definition -- it refers to tormenting someone with the promise of something that is actually out of reach.  Tantalus was a demigod who abused his ability to share in the food of the gods, and was punished by being sent to Tartarus, where he was "tantalized" by food and water that would always be so close, yet so far away.

I mention all of this because it is Wednesday, and Wednesday is all about the tantalizing prospect of the weekend, which, once it arrives, is not unlike the water that surrounded Tantalus.  When he would lower his head to drink, it would drain away. 

I also mention all of this because I am trying to generate a great deal of text, so that I can share with you something that I discovered last night that made the neighbors think that someone was laughing to death in my house.  It's called "The Dialectizer," and it is brilliant. You enter text and it translates it into a variety of comic languages. I will now demonstrate its amazing powers to elicit tummy-aching laughter based on even the most benign passages. 

I give you "Redneck": 
When ah used t'larn Greek mahthology t'mah middle skoo students a few years back, ah w'd allus compile a list of English wo'ds thet haf their origeen in Greek mahths. One of mah favo'ites was "tantalize." It jest don't seem fair thet a wo'd thet is so much fun t'say has a rather cruel definishun -- it refers t'to'mentin' someone wif th' promise of sumpin thet is acshully outta retch. Tantalus was a demigod who abused his ability t'share in th' grub of th' gods, an' was punished by bein' sent t'Tartarus, whar he was "tantalized" by grub an' water thet'd allus be so close, yet so far away. 

ah menshun all of this hyar on account o' it is Wednesday, an' Wednesday is all about th' tantalizin' prospeck of th' weekend, which, once it arrives, is not unlike th' water thet surroun'ed Tantalus. When he'd lower his haid t'six pack, it'd drain away.
And "Swedish Chef": 
Vhee I used tu teech Greek mythulugy tu my meeddle-a schuul stoodents a foo yeers beck, I vuoold elveys cumpeele-a a leest ooff Ingleesh vurds thet hefe-a zeeur ooreegin in Greek myths. Um gesh dee bork, bork! Oone-a ooff my fefureetes ves "tunteleeze-a." It joost duesn't seem feur thet a vurd thet is su mooch foon tu sey hes a rezeer crooel deffeenishun -- it reffers tu turmenteeng sumeune-a veet zee prumeese-a ooff sumetheeng thet is ectooelly oooot ooff reech. Tunteloos ves a demeegud vhu eboosed hees ebeelity tu shere-a in zee fuud ooff zee guds, und ves pooneeshed by beeeng sent tu Terteroos, vhere-a he-a ves "tunteleezed" by fuud und veter thet vuoold elveys be-a su cluse-a, yet su fer evey. Bork bork bork! 

I menshun ell ooff thees becoose-a it is Vednesdey, und Vednesdey is ell ebuoot zee tunteleezing pruspect ooff zee veekend, vheech, oonce-a it erreefes, is nut unleeke-a zee veter thet soorruoonded Tunteloos. Um gesh dee bork, bork! Vhee he-a vuoold looer hees heed tu dreenk, it vuoold dreeen evey. Bork bork bork!
And don't forget "Cockney":
Wen I used ter teach Greek meffology ter my middle school students a few years back, I would always compile a list of English words that 'ave their origin in Greek meffs. One of me favrites were "tantalize." It just don't seem fair that a word that is so much fun ter say 'as a ravver cruel definition -- it refers ter tormentin' some bloke wiv the promise of sumfink that is actually out of reach. Tantalus were a demigod 'oo abused 'is ability ter share in the chuffin' food of the bloomin' gods, and were punished by bein' sent ter Tartarus, right, where 'e were "tantalized" by food and water that would always be so close, yet so far oray. 

I mention all of this because it is Wednesday, and Wednesday is all about the chuffin' tantalizin' prospect of the bloody weekend, wich, right, once it arrives, is not unlike the water that surrounded Tantalus. Wen 'e would lower 'is loaf of bread to drink, right, it would drain oray.
There are many more.  Isn't it hilarious?  Bork bork bork. 

Since a photo-less post just isn't cool
On account o' a photo-less post jest ain't right fine
Since a photo-wess post just isn't coow
Seence-a a phutu-less pust joost isn't cuul

I'll leave you with a recent JBS Mercantile layout featuring my crazy little kitty. 
Enjoy the rest of your week!

5 comments:

  1. Nice layout. He looks right at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sense of humor. I think we would get along great IRL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sense of humor. I think we would get along great IRL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my! love that layout jill!

    thanks for the link - lol!

    ReplyDelete