Monday, September 10, 2012

(P)noticed: 10 on the 10th

1. Pin: 
Source
2. Passage: 
"Do you know why books such as this are so important? Because they have quality. And what does the word quality mean? To me it means texture. This book has pores. It has features. This book can go under the microscope. You'd find life under the glass, streaming past in infinite profusion. The more pores, the more truthfully recorded details of life per square inch you can get on a sheet of paper, the more 'literary' you are. That's my definition, anyway. Telling detail. Fresh detail. The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies. 
"So now do you see why books are hated and feared? They show the pores in the face of life. The comfortable people want only wax moon faces, poreless, hairless, expressionless. We are living in a time when flowers are trying to live on flowers, instead of growing on good rain and black loam. Even fireworks, for all their prettiness, come from the chemistry of the earth. Yet somehow we think we can grow, feeding on flowers and fireworks, without completing the cycle back to reality. Do you know the legend of Hercules and Antaeus, the giant wrestler, whose strength was incredible so long as he stood firmly on earth? But when he was held, rootless, in midair, by Hercules, he perished easily. If there isn't something in that legend for us today, in this city, in our time, then I am completely insane."
-- Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
3. Picture: 
I was going through some photos my daughter took back in 2010. I cracked up immediately when I found this one of the dog. How Z got her to smile for the camera, I'll never know.
4. Person: There's just something about Melanie Godecki's style that I just plain dig. It's quirky cool.

5. Problem: I am a night owl in an early bird world.

6. Process: Today on the JBS Inspiration Blog, I share my process for incorporating poetry on a layout, from start to finish.
7. Product: 
I just got a box from Two Peas today, and among the goodies in it was this oh-so-lovely ribbon from Webster's. That green trim at the very top is my favorite! I think I'll need an extra yard of it. 
8. Pleasure: I've been spending some time revisiting Hyperbole and a Half, the funniest blog in the history of ever. It hasn't been updated in months, but I'm hoping beyond hope that the adventures of Simple Dog and Helper Dog will continue someday soon.

9. Post: It's been a few weeks since I first read about it, but I still can't get the notion of this exhibit out of my head.

10. Present: It's raining! I love the rain. :)  Of course, this means that our grass is likely to reach jungle-length once again.  Wet ground = no mowing = happy husband = irritated neighbors = oh freaking well.

2 comments:

  1. I so related to #10! And what a great photo of your adorable puppy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your posts on the 10th. That top pin made me laugh. I too am a night owl in an early bird world and it is really getting tough to drag myself up in the morning with the seasonal change. I'm thinking I should try and participate in that sleeping beauty exhibit so I can find myself a boyfriend, at worst I'd at least get a good nap.

    ReplyDelete