Sunday, October 28, 2012

Whoa-eekend.

What with a hurricane heading toward friends and family on the mainland, and a tsunami warning last night, it's been a tense weekend.

Luckily, the tsunami's impact was limited to some unusual tidal movement in harbor areas. Still, people went crazy. Although people who were not living on the coasts were told to stay home, many rushed out to get gas, and some even headed for the shoreline, in contention for this year's Darwin Awards, no doubt.  The roads were clogged with traffic, there were at least four major accidents, and one of the news stations reported that a woman in labor had to pull over to give birth since she could not make it to the hospital. The scariest moment of the night was when the stone-faced mayor instructed people who were stuck on the roads to consider getting out of their cars and moving to higher ground.

As for my family, we did that thing called listening, and stayed put at home, since we don't live in an inundation zone. From the moment the sirens went off at about 8:30, we stayed glued to the TV, praying that everyone (except for those running toward the ocean to splash in the waves, or those who let out whoops and yells at 10:28 p.m., when the first wave was due to hit) would be safe.

However, Hurricane Sandy is still on the move, and I am praying that its impact will not be severe.

I've been trying to distract myself, so that this feeling of helplessness doesn't overwhelm me. Mostly that has taken the form of housecleaning, which, I have learned, also generates a feeling of helplessness. Ha. My house is the equivalent of Greek fire. The more I clean, the messier it seems to get.

So I've turned to glitter and glue and modeling paste.  I've found that I'm more productive with those in my hands, instead of dish liquid and toilet brushes and laundry detergent.

In the meantime, if you're looking for a way to distract yourself and you're up for a challenge, be sure to check out this week's journaling challenge at Two Peas in a Bucket:
The whole idea is to let your pet do the talking. If your cat could speak, what would he say? If your dog could communicate the feelings behind those puppy dog eyes, what would she tell you? I pretty much giggled the entire time I created this layout.
As an added perk, those who enter the challenge will have a chance to win a $5.00 gift certificate to Two Peas.  Plus, you'll keep me entertained. :)

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you and your family were safe at home!!
    Love your page today! Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun page! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you and your family are safe, Jill! I totally hear ya on the East Coast troubles. So sad. I do love the layout, though! And yes, I've been doing a lot of house cleaning, too. And neglecting assignments, as I feel like I have too much time to think, then...

    ReplyDelete