Saturday, March 16, 2013

A Disastrous Saturday

So the post title is a little misleading, but there's still a kernel of truth there.
I shall explain.

I've spent my Saturday indulging in one of my guilty pleasures: disaster movies.
This morning I watched 2012. It's a horrible, wonderful movie.
For some reason, it always makes me want to visit Yellowstone National Park,
and it always makes me giggle a little to see Waikiki submerged in lava.
It shouldn't, I know. I'm a sick, sick person.

After it ended, I decided to turn off the TV, but made a cursory flip through a few neighboring channels first, and lo and behold -- Independence Day was on. There is some unseen force that will not allow me to walk away from that movie. It's a disaster flick meets an alien invasion flick. Genius stuff, that. Still, I had just been watching TV for several hours...

"I ain't heard no fat lady!" my daughter screamed as I made a feeble attempt to turn off the TV.

So we watched Will Smith declare -- for the thousandth time, easily -- that he could have been at a barbecue. We paused during commercial breaks so that I could prep these tasty marvels:
As my daughter and I inhaled them, the credits began to roll and I flipped through the channels once again, searching for something that we wouldn't have trouble turning off and -- wait -- is The Day After Tomorrow on?  No way!

Awesome Saturday.

ETA: Here's the recipe.  (This one's for you, Nirupama!)

The first time I made these, I followed the recipe from Pioneer Woman.  However, I've tweaked it just a little over time, and this is the version my family loves best: 


Stuffed Jalapeños (Sprott version)

12 large jalapeños 
12 slices of bacon
1 block of cream cheese (8 ounces), softened
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese or sharp cheddar
1/2 cup grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese
About 1/4 cup of Hunt’s honey mustard barbecue sauce
2-3 green onions, thinly sliced (optional — but I like to add it) 

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Wearing a plastic bag or kitchen glove over the hand that will be handling the pepper, cut the jalapeños in half lengthwise. You can leave the stems on, but remove them if you plan to reheat these later in a microwave (unless you’re a fan of truly fiery jalapeños).  Scrape out the insides of each pepper (I use a spoon), and place the peppers on a baking sheet. 

Using a hand mixer, mix the cheeses and green onions (if using) together in a bowl until combined. Stuff each pepper with the mixture, leveling off the top of each. 

Cut the bacon slices in half, and wrap each half-slice of bacon around a stuffed jalapeño half. Start at the top, pulling each piece gently as you wrap, until the pepper is wrapped from top to bottom.  

Brush a light layer of barbecue sauce over each piece. 


Bake the peppers for 70-80 minutes at 300 degrees. Depending on the oven, cooking times may vary, but you’ll know the peppers are done when the bacon darkens and starts to sizzle. 

6 comments:

  1. First the malasadas, now this. Homemade jalepeno poppers? I dont know why I never tried that before but i will now! Sounds like an awesome Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm those stuffed peppers look yummy. A disaster movie is great viewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound like an awesome Saturday! And I seriously heart those pepper thingies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy! I'm lazy though...I make mine as dip! (Pinterest or foodgawker)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jill! Totally made a vegetarian version of these today. I think I ate a whole brick of cream cheese by myself.

    ReplyDelete