Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Play Date Cafe #176 (with JBS!)

Recently I became acquainted with The Play Date Cafe, which features weekly "color story" challenges and very, very pinnable (it's a word now -- oh, yes) inspiration pieces. This week's challenge features a lovely palette of neutrals. 
Along with several members of the Jenni Bowlin Studio design team, I had the chance to join in the challenge with the Play Date Cafe team this week. I am so glad that I did, because the layout that came about as a result of this challenge is a very important one to me.  
My grandma is in her 90s, and as she ages, she is changing, physically and mentally. Our family has had some difficulty adapting to those changes. She isn't really herself any more; though she is here, she isn't really here all the time, not the way she used to be.  For a moment, though, I just wanted to remember my grandma not just as my grandma, but as Eva, the person that she was, that she is, somewhere in there.
The papers and accents that I included on the layout remind me of her in some way. I used a JBS Time Book clear stamp here -- it seemed especially fitting for a layout about the passage of time.
I also worked in a few metallic elements, finding inspiration in the images in the color story. 
I also worked in vintage sheet music and dictionary pages from past JBS Mercantile antiquarian kits. The line on the sheet music gave me goosebumps when I saw it; it belongs here.  
The journaling is tucked behind the photo (above).


If you would like to participate in the Play Date Cafe challenge, and you are also a JBS fan, then this is your week!  As the sponsor of this week's challenge, JBS is offering a chance to win a $25 gift certificate.

Just share a link to your layout on the Play Date Cafe blog (see "How to Play").  One lucky winner will be selected.

2 comments: