Monday, June 17, 2013

Treasure

No shiny baubles
no spa day 
and no sale at Anthro
(even with free shipping)
can delight me 
the way that these can. 
Music to a scrapbooker's ears
does not sound like
"bling" or "ch-ching,"
but rather,
"click."
Click. A striking young man: a soldier, handsome, brave, and true. He is my grandfather.
Click. A toddler, playing in the yard, grows up to become my mother.
Click. The family gathers at the shore, splashing in the waves. In this moment, they are young forever.

I will spend my summer scanning and documenting each photo. I don't have most of the stories behind these, but I'll do my best to find out as much as I can. Even if I can't find the words, I know that I have found treasure. I know that I have been reminded that every click from my own camera just may be golden. What seems ordinary to us now may become extraordinary someday.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing photos! What a family treasure. :) To me, there is nothing quite as wonderful as an old black and white picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you do with the photos once they are scanned. We just bought a new dedicated scanner because we have so many photos from parents/grandparents and even my own wedding (can't find the photographer anymore)that we are scanning. But I need ideas of how to use these "vintage" photos. Will be watching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! Old pictures are the best. I love looking through my grandfather's scrapbooks (scrapbooking must be genetic!) and seeing all the people and places he saw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygosh!! These are amazing. How fun is it going to be to go through them all, too? Jealous!

    ReplyDelete