Friday, August 16, 2013

JBS Mid-Month Reveal

Last night was the mid-month gallery reveal at JBS Mercantile. There are still a few kits available, including the lovely August Papercrafting and Artisan kits.
I used the Papercrafting kit to create this tribute layout:
It's not really a tribute to bacon, but to my grandmother, who taught me how to prepare it just right. To this day, I cringe at too-crispy bacon. It's just wrong. 
I had fun experimenting with the chipboard hearts in the kit. I added a coat of gesso to some and painted over them with a pale tomato paint dauber, and I added two layers of white embossing powder to the others.
Granted, hearts and bacon have had an uneasy relationship through the years (or so medical history would have us believe), but I couldn't resist using hearts here to celebrate my bacon love. 

The second layout that I created uses both the Papercrafting and Artisan kits.
I built this page layer by layer, pulling together papers and accents from both kits. 
I was stoked when I discovered a sheet of gold vellum paper in the Artisan kit. I love that stuff! I placed it over the red and pink circle pattern (an exclusive designed by Lisa Dickinson), and the gold transformed the entire pattern.
 I tucked the journaling into one of the layers. In it, I focused on all that the photo reveals to me.
To create the striped/lined background, I painted a sheet of the corrugated paper from the Artisan kit and pressed it over a sheet of cardstock, lifting it gently. I'll reuse the painted paper on a future project. 

My third project incorporates items from the Historian and Mini-Album kits: 
This is a "just as I am" self-portrait layout. I grabbed the camera, headed outside, and snapped a few head-to-toe photos. I didn't brush my hair or "prettify" myself (which is pretty much the norm for me on weekends) because the idea was to capture myself in the moment. After printing the photos, I put together the layout, focusing on a stream-of-consciousness listing approach to the journaling. 
After writing the words using a white pen, I called attention to certain words by underlining and boxing them with a gold pen and stitching around others. 

To see the full mid-month gallery, stop by JBS Mercantile

Thanks for visiting! 

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME layouts Jill--I especially love the story about the bacon layout!

    ReplyDelete