Friday, March 14, 2014

3.14

Happy Pi Day!

In honor of the occasion, my geek of a husband and my nerdlet daughter have determined that we need to be eating fifteen pies right about 9:26 a.m.  Well, maybe -- they're still debating whether a better time would be 4:22 p.m.  There's some zany mathematical reasoning behind the numbers. As for me, I'm just jonesing for PIE. The bigger debate is which type we'll need.  There is no way that I am springing for fifteen pies, so we'll have to settle on two. The contenders are macadamia nut cream pie (my favorite), apple pie (my daughter's favorite), and lemon meringue pie (my husband's favorite).

Speaking of pies...this is "Storytellers" week at Two Peas in a Bucket, and given that this month's theme is children, I collaborated with my daughter to create a layout that features a series of pie charts all about her.
I shared the process for creating the layout from start to finish in a video. I would definitely attempt a project like this again. The best part of it was working alongside my daughter and talking about what has been going on in her life and in her head.

(I did notice later that on the first pie chart there is an unlabeled section. Whoops!  It's supposed to read "web comics.")

I included only four charts on the page, but I have so many more ideas for other kinds of charts. Have I mentioned that my new dream job is working for the Pew Research Center?  :)

Have a terrific Pi Day!  I'm off to hunt for some mac nut goodness.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this layout--SO totally fun! Got to figure this PI day out-I LOVE pie too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pie charts look delicious! (haha). No, they really do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful layout. I think our daughters would be good friends if they lived closer to each other - their pie charts would be about the same.

    ReplyDelete