Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Lately(ing)

Lately I have been

...wondering why my favorite radio station is insisting on playing the song "Pompeii" to the point of destruction (bad joke, I know) instead of recognizing that there is more than one Bastille song to be found. Yesterday, one of the DJs played "Flaws" and then commented that he didn't think that the song would "make it." Piss. Me. Off.

...realizing that a layout can be about a person without actually including that person on the page, as is the case with this page that I created for Two Peas in a Bucket, featuring the objects that play a role in  my daughter's everyday activities and routines:
...finishing a unit on Pride and Prejudice with my students. I never -- ever -- get tired of watching the Keira Knightley movie version with them. One class actually started wailing and screaming when the bell to end class rang one day, interrupting Darcy's (first) proposal to Elizabeth.  Hilarious.

...searching for books that might make good additions to the curriculum next year. I feel like the English teacher version of Diogenes, searching for one suitable book.  I am most definitely a free speech supporter, but that does not mean that I want to be guiding a group of students in navigating page after page of explicit sex scenes and coarse expletives that do not contribute much to the value of the text. What is it about modern fiction and its need to drop the f-bomb so casually? Is it an attempt to be realistic, or is it just overkill? I understand it in texts like The Things They Carried, where it actually becomes an apt word choice: "They used a hard vocabulary to contain the terrible softness." The repeated use of the word makes sense within the context of the narrative. It actually contributes to the power of the text. I just don't think that most writers who include expletives and explicit sex scenes in their writing in this day and age are particularly thoughtful about doing so. Sometimes these words and these scenes are just there, clunky, obvious, gratuitous, actually detracting from the power of a text.  It's frustrating.

...cooking at home again. It's been a busy past couple of months, and I will admit, we have eaten out way more than we should have been doing. It is such a challenge to find time to prepare meals when life gets hectic, but this week, we have been making more of a concerted effort to get back on track, even if that means eating later than usual. Tonight my husband cooked -- whoa. He made chicken scampi.  I have been told that every man has a "go to" meal, one meal (and only one, apparently) that he is able to cook to impress others, and this is Rob's. It's great stuff, and so light!  Don't let the "scampi" aspect fool you -- there is no butter in the dish, just a bit of olive oil used to sauté the vegetables and chicken. Good stuff.

...still recovering from junior prom weekend.  It was a whirlwind of hairspray, satin, giggling, sleepovers, and brunch.  I documented a bit of it in my most recent Two Peas in a Bucket "Storytellers" video.
...shivering! We have been having some chilly, windy, and rainy weather around here for the past few days. As I write this, my hands are like ice.  Is frostbite possible in Hawaii?

...watching How I Met Your Mother. We came to the series in its ninth year, just a few months ago, and we're almost caught up! We've been doing our best to avoid spoilers over the past few days, since the series ended on March 31 with what appears to have been a very irritating final episode for many fans, but we won't find out the source of that irritation for another few days. We have just five episodes left!  I'll miss these characters when I'm no longer spending quality TV time with them.

Thanks for stopping by today!

No comments:

Post a Comment