Friday, June 27, 2014

Getting Painterly.

A few posts ago, I mentioned that a certain summery color combo had been catching my eye lately. 
These colors found their way onto my most recent layout, in the form of painterly stripes.
Not only did the colors provide motivation, but so did the sketch on which this is based, by Alex Gadji, whom I joined for this week's sketch challenge on the October Afternoon blog. Initially I was going to create a background of ribbons or patterned strips, but I decided to work with paint instead. I love the way the painted stripes overlap and blend where they meet, and how they mirror the colors in the photos.
I've really been warming up to purple lately. I am not sure why that is, as it used to be the most challenging color for me to work with. Not anymore! My fifth grade self, who loved purple everything, would be so proud of me.
I'm also happy to have scrapped these photos. I love orchids so much. There are a few varieties in my yard that manage to bloom from time to time despite my black thumb. The ones in these photos, however, are not from my yard, but from the Orchid Conservatory at the Foster Botanical Garden in Honolulu. It's my favorite part of the garden, next to the butterfly garden, the cannonball tree, and the quipo tree.

I used the "Public Library" line on this page, layering papers, stickers, and accents behind the photos. That collection really is an English teacher's dream, though this layout is evidence that it need not be limited to pages about books. Versatility is always a plus with any collection.

I'm off to finish a page in progress. This one's for JBS Mercantile, using the July kits. I saved the journaling for last on this one, just to give myself a little more time to think about what I wanted to say. The words always come, but they don't always do so easily. Now there's a lesson learned from flowers: it never hurts to take a step back to give the ideas a chance to germinate.

5 comments:

  1. Wow!! Jill you are awesome! This layout is gorgeous! I love how your painted stripes match photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful as always! Love the combo of paint and pictures here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this Jill. Some of my fondest memories of Hawaii are of the flowers! Is that a doily on the background or did you stencil something? I love that subtle extra element!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! I didn't use a stencil -- it's actually the subtle design on the background of the OA patterned paper. The paper is called "Reference Section," and it's from the Public Library collection.

      Delete