Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Heartsick.


This morning I learned that Two Peas in a Bucket will be closing.

Suddenly I felt the same way that I did when the first school that I taught at closed. It was a small, close-knit private school that had been struggling for a while, but kept fighting the good fight because it believed it had important work to do. I had been a student there, and returned years later to teach there, and I loved it. The school shaped me, and I helped to shape it. On the last day of school one year, after the students had left, the faculty received the news that the school would be closing. I tried to fight this change, joining a small group of students, teachers, and parents to try to raise the funds needed to keep the school going, but it was too late. A decision had been made. The school closed its doors. The students never got to say goodbye to each other. They all scattered to different schools. Facebook did not exist -- we inevitably fell out of touch with each other. Wherever we ended up and wherever we are today, all we have in common is the memory of the community we once were.

Today I am feeling the same shock, the same sadness and frustration, and have to squelch the impulse to fight, because there is nothing that I can do to keep Two Peas in a Bucket alive. Times change. Just as the economy changed and people opted to send their kids to local public schools over private ones, affecting our little school's enrollment, so have economic shifts and people's choices contributed to the end of the Two Peas community.  There's a heartless but realistic saying that seems to hold true in cases like this one: adapt or die. Sometimes that adaptation can be a conscious choice, but sometimes, try as we might, no matter what we do, the environment itself has shifted and we cannot make ourselves survive within it. There is no one to blame. Two Peas tried to adapt. It fought the good fight. The peas who were committed to the community continued to participate in it and to support a business that they believed in.  It wasn't enough.  The environment has shifted.

Where does this leave us, the peas, the scrapbookers who continue to pose ominous questions like, "Is the industry dying?" and "Is scrapbooking over?" The two questions are interlinked, but the second one is more important than the first.

If scrapbooking has value for you, then you will keep doing it. You won't be able to stop. If it consumes you as it consumes me, because it is one of the best ways to capture life and what it means to live it honestly and fully and powerfully and wonderfully, then you will continue to call yourself a scrapbooker for years to come. The industry will stand or fall depending on whether these kind of people exist. The choices we make with our dollars will determine its fate. Even if individual businesses crumble, however, scrapbooking will still find a way, because what motivates us to scrapbook is not really the pretty paper or the cutesy accents; what motivates us is the story that must be told, the moment that must be shared.

It was just beautiful to have a place to share that passion with others. That is what Two Peas in a Bucket was for me, and maybe it was that way for you as well.

So we will disperse, like that school community that I so loved, but we will find other communities, other paths to learning, other ways of seeking inspiration. We will do what scrapbookers do: we will take what we have loved, we will remember it, and we will make it matter, somehow.

19 comments:

  1. So, SO SAD! That's the one place I thought was the strongest among similar. I just expressed my sad feelings on my blog.

    The only one sure thing is that scrapbooking is NOT dying, because there's just too many people that love it too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first heard the news I was so sad - mostly because of the reactions asking "is scrapbooking over?" Then I started imagining myself jumping onto my cubicle desk at work coming up with a motivation speech - "with glue in our hands and memories in our hearts, we will scrap, and we will document our lives!" but I resisted the urge as I'm sure the people in my insurance company would have thought I was nuts. But I'm hoping we can all take a deep breath and continue scrapping. We will find a place to share our work and chat about this thing we love so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful post, Jill. So very sad to hear this news. Two Peas was my first scrappy home. I haven't had much time to hang out there since I started CSI, but it's always had a place in my heart and I always spent my dollars there to support a place I loved.

    If you need a new place to share your inspiration and to be inspired, I'd love for you to hang with us at CSI. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of you when I saw the email.
    Sending hugs, love your words and wanted to say thank you for all you shared at 2peas. I also wanted to say thankyou for every time you liked/commented in my gallery. You will never know how much it meant to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this email too. I certainly hope scrapbooking is not dying! But it's always sad to see companies and stores shut down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill, you taught me more than I could have imagined even needing to learn. I'm truly hoping that you will continue to post videos and *teach*! You are my scrapbooking crush, I always sit still after watching your videos, excited for that rush of creativity to strike so I can make something pretty with the new things I've learned.

    -Katy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written! Thank you for being so genuine and inspiring! I appreciate you and your amazing ability to tell a story. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill, what a beautiful post. Thank you for your heartfelt honesty. I am so sorry about Two Peas. I did shop there, and I did take classes there. I was very inspired, and I will miss that. But I'm saddest for you and the other Garden Girls most of all. I know you all put your heart into what you did there, and know that your inspiration meant something to a lot of people.

    As you said, there will be other communities. Noell Hyman posted a topic on the Paperclipping site about Two Peas closing, and they're talking about creating a forum/message board that will hopefully become a hub of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a way with words and this is a beautiful tribute to 2Peas and the scrapbooking community. Thank you for all that you've done to inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a beautiful post, I agree with "heartsick." I'm so upset as twopeasinabucket was my scrapbooking home and where I want everyday after work to see the videos and inspiration throughout the gallery. I will always scrapbook because I love it and don't think the I industry is dying, it's still out there and I will be all for it always. I will miss the garden girls and ally workshops, it was so fun and such an exciting place. So saddened but I hope you find it in you to keep sharing videos as I was always so excited when oh were up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just discovered your Storytellers videos and Scrapbooking from the Soul workshop a couple of weeks ago. My thoughts on the closing of 2Peas were purely practical - how can I keep my new favorite inspiration?! So I have downloaded the 3 class videos so that I can keep them regardless of what happens to the content on the website. I hope you don't mind. I barely had a chance to reflect on what I had learned in your workshop before this announcement was made. I hope that you will continue to share videos and inspiration somewhere because I really love your style and the depth of your journaling.
    I shouldn't have been surprised to see your comments here veered to reflection, the big picture, deep questions. No, scrapbooking and memory keeping are very much alive, but as you say, like all things, they are changing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, like you, am heartsick also. If it were not for 2 Peas I am not sure I would have ever stumbled onto your beautiful work (even before you were a GG). I am so grateful for all the inspiration, news, friends (and shopping) that I was a part of at 2 Peas for the 7 years I was there! To say I will miss it is a huge understatement. I will continue to follow you on your blog Jill as I am a lifetime fan and I need to see where Z chooses to go to college, and what antics your dog and cat are up to, what's up with your wonderful husband and yourself, etc.! (and not in a stalker like way)! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank You Jill for your perfectly written tribute. I hope you will continue to inspire, teach and lead. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dammit, Jill. You made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully written Jill. I've loved your Garden Girl layouts and process videos, and learned SO much from your 2 Peas workshop. Thank you for the love and hard work you poured into being a Garden Girl. I look forward to following your creative endeavours here on your blog! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Jill for putting this into words. When I first read the news of 2 peas closing, I immediately thought of you and Mel Blackburn. You two have inspired me in so many ways. I don't journal and tell the story as eloquently as you, and don't rock a 8.5x11 like Mel, but someday.
    Thanks too for your amazing videos, I've enjoyed watching your creations come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sad that I can't even express what I am feeling. It's silly to others, but all of us understand. Please keep doing what you are doing. We need our world to have color.
    Take care,
    Kim (raeraesma)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hear you - loud and clearly. Please stop over at acherryontop.com - we are a friendly, non snarky group that would love more Peas to drop in. You will be welcomed and I think you might like it. Scrapbookers forever!

    ReplyDelete