Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Of Lotus-Eaters and Layouts

Even though I fancy myself to be a flexible person, any break in my routine always leaves me a bit disoriented. Summer usually starts that way for me. The first few days are a sweet relief, but at some point, the time of day and day of the week start to blur, and with each summer day that passes, my body seems to wind down until it reaches a natural kind of rhythm, a summery ebb and flow. As the school year approaches once again, the days start to feel shorter, and a sense of pressure, a growing urgency, starts to percolate, and the space between seconds seems to reduce itself.  That seems negative, I suppose, but it ends up being an awakening; summer is not unlike the land of the lotus-eaters. The longer it lasts, the more it has a narcotic effect on me.

At the moment, though, I am having trouble allowing summer to pull me under its spell. My daughter is studying abroad for the next few months, and I am missing her so very much. It doesn't feel like summer without her, and I can't let myself slow down, for fear that if I am not distracted, then I will just feel her absence even more than I do. How the heck do parents cope when their kids go off to college? Empty nests suck. 

So...I've been trying to distract myself. This has been tough, with my computer in for repairs and my glasses broken, but now that I have both back and functioning, hopefully I'll find an escape in reading, scrapbooking, and watching TV mindlessly. I have a feeling that I'm also going to be talking to my dog more than usual. She's a good listener, though. 

Speaking of scrapbooking, a few days ago a bunch of new layouts were added to the gallery at JBS Mercantile. I added three to the mix, including this one of my lovely so-far-away-from-me-now-pause-for-heavy-sigh daughter. 
I had some fun with the number stencil from the June Papercrafting kit. I moved it across the page, left to right, misting as I went along, and then built the rest of the layout atop that background. 
My second layout is sort of the opposite of the first, style-wise. I tried my hand at a clean and simple approach (I know, so against my nature), using the Antiquarian kit. 
I added some hidden journaling to explain the connection to the Mary Oliver poem. 
The third layout pulls together the Papercrafting and Antiquarian kits, to pay tribute to the class of 2014. 
I tried to work in elements to emphasize the ideas of education, transformation, and celebration. 
I'm off to bury my nose in a book. Now that I have my glasses back, I can get back to reading Midwinterblood, by Marcus Sedgwick. So far, it's pretty engrossing. We'll see if remains that way! Here's hoping.

Thanks for stopping by today and putting up with my woe-is-me-without-my-mini-me mood. Like my dog, you deserve props for being a good listener. 

1 comment:

  1. there is so much inspiration here.. Thanks for sharing..x

    ReplyDelete