Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Open Road Calls...

Summer is the perfect time to travel, isn't it? How does one do that, however, without having won a lottery?  I was pricing plane tickets from Hawaii to the east coast the other day, and they were close to $3000 for a round trip for a single person. How do entire families manage to travel, I ask you? Alas...I will be staying at home this summer. Again.

I suppose it's karmic, on some level. I've already had two chances to travel earlier this year -- once as a teacher chaperone on a college tour to Oregon and Washington, and then a few months later as a teacher chaperone on a trip to the Big Island for a competition.  It would be nice, however, to take off the teacher hat and travel just for the thrill of it this summer -- especially knowing that I have a bunch of travel-themed DT assignments coming up -- but since I can't do that, I'll have to content myself with reflecting upon past adventures.
Last week on the Crate Paper blog, I shared two layouts depicting some of these adventures, with the help of the "Open Road" collection. The first pulls together twenty photos from the fall college tour, and shares some of the highlights (according to my daughter, who was there as well) from each of the ten campuses visited. 
The second layout is about my daughter's trip to Tahoe in November.  My husband and I weren't able to go, but we were happy to be able to send her. She had so much fun playing in the snow.  Would you believe that the blue background peeking out from the cut circles is actually a desert scene? Ha! 

Although I'll be home-bound this summer, my daughter will be heading out again, ever the explorer. I'm actually content to stay here, provided that I receive regular photo updates. :) 

Thanks for stopping by today! 

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful layouts, Jill! And I agree. The price of air travel is out of control!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean to tell me that a teacher's salary does not leave you with a spare $3000 to take a trip??? Haha! I can SO sympathize with you only I am not left in HI all summer but IL...waaaay less fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that layout with all the stitching to show where you were on your college tour, just awesome and so many photos. You are a master!!!

    ReplyDelete