Sunday, July 13, 2014

Finding the Words: The Self-Portrait Page

I say it every year, so it's about time for me to say it again: summer scrapping really is the best kind of scrapping. I am all about the flow right now.

A few weeks ago, I splurged on some goodies from Studio Calico, and yesterday, I created this page.
It's been a while since I created a self-portrait layout. I always feel a little awkward creating pages that are focused on me, especially in a world of selfies gone wild, but from time to time, it is important to turn that gaze around and take a look within. I can't just be the scrapbooker-as-spectator. The self isn't static, and thus, periodic "snapshot" layouts should be welcome -- even necessary -- additions to one's albums.
I spilled the random contents of my head here, taking a fragmented approach to the journaling.
What unifies the fragments is that every thought is genuine, emerging from my muddle of a brain, and each one was recorded as it popped into my head.
A stream-of-consciousness technique works wonders on a self-portrait page, especially if you don't consider yourself/your self as a subject about which you can generalize simply or easily.  Plus, it's honest; it's direct. Just spend a few minutes jotting down your thoughts (and even your questions), not worrying about the order or the coherency. You aren't telling a story or writing a summary; you're just sharing a peek at what the journaling card on this page refers to as "the weird and wonderful."

To jump start the journaling, ask yourself questions; it's almost like having an interview with yourself.

What have you noticed lately? What's been bothering you? What have you been back-and-forth about? What made you smile last? What little things have delighted you in a big way? What have you discovered about yourself recently? What's on your mind?

What lies on the other side of these questions deserves to find its way onto a page or two or ten, don't you agree?

4 comments:

  1. This is fabulous!! I so want to do some journaling like this. It sounds like it is so freeing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no one that journals like you Jill. This is so amazing.
    Making a mental note right now that I need to download all your class notes from Two Peas.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the use of the doily! The journaling blocks! The happy little cloud! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete