Tuesday, July 1, 2014

You Realize What This Means.

It's July 1. Exactly a month from now, my summer vacation will be done.  Just as I was getting used to the aimlessness and the sleeping in and the trips to Starbucks with the dog in tow, I've hit the halfway point of summer and it's like someone just flipped over an hourglass. Time to carpe that summer diem, yo.

I think I did just that with the July kits from JBS Mercantile, making the most of them and losing myself in the sense of "flow" that comes with creating.

This month I worked with the Papercrafting and Antiquarian kits, both of which are very July, don't you think?
My first project makes use of the exclusive flamingo-print paper found in the Papercrafting kit. 

I knew just what to do with it. My mother-in-law is not so much a cat lady as she is a flamingo lady. We are always sending her flamingo-themed items, so of course when her birthday rolled around this year, I had the perfect paper for her card. 
 I've got to give it up to Lisa Dickinson for designing this paper!

The Papercrafting kit, as you have noticed, includes quite a bit of red, white, and blue. I nearly put my hand over my heart as I opened the box when I received the kit.  It would have plain wrong and downright unpatriotic of me to have overlooked a page celebrating Independence Day.
I inked a few Lawn Fawn fireworks stamps with some daubers and repeatedly stamped the image on some cardstock, over which I printed my journaling. 
I so love the months of the year flair that Jenni has been adding to the kits. 
You may notice that dark blue paper peeking out from behind the layers. It's cut from a sheet of oh-my-gosh-I-need-300-more-sheets-of-this blueprint paper from the Antiquarian kit.  I fought the urge to hoard the rest of the paper and gave it a home on this layout: 
If you are fan of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, then you will immediately recognize the quote that I used here. After seeing the movie for the first time back in December, my daughter tweeted, "Mark my words, I'll travel the world." A few months later, she was accepted into a study abroad program, and a few weeks ago, my adventurous girl got on a plane and off she went. The quote from the movie  has been a mantra of hers, and it was the best way to communicate how I felt about her sendoff. 
I dusted off the ol' die-cut machine and coaxed it into cutting cursive letters, which was not easy. For some reason my Cameo has been ripping paper as it cuts, and I'm not quite sure how to address that. Miracle of miracles, the title letters emerged on my third try.  I painted them with some Gold Glitter Glamour Dust paint (from a past JBS kit) and then misted them lightly with Tropicana Teal and Mustard Color Shine mists. 

With my daughter off in foreign lands, I've been spending a lot of time with my other daughter, my fur daughter.  This morning she insisted on an "us-ie." 
She holds the camera like a pro, doesn't she? 

Like any pet of mine, she has a bazillion names. I've taken to calling her "Daughter Beezus" lately.  One of the layouts that I've been working on documents a few of the names to which she answers. 
I had some fun with watercolors here, streaking them across the background. There's also a painted piece among the rectangles that I pulled together on the layout. 
Those gold accents -- bestill my heart. 

I also worked in watercolors on this layout, which is based on a PageMaps sketch. The JBS Mercantile team joined PageMaps as contributing guests this month. 
To create the circle pattern in the background, I used one of the exclusive stamps from the Papercrafting kit and stamped it repeatedly to form a grid. I then filled in the circles with red, yellow, and blue watercolor paint, and then mixed the blue and red to create purple, which I added last. 
I brightened up the kraft-colored letters by swiping various colors of ink daubers over them. 
Every time I look at this page, I crave shave ice. 

The last of my pages from the July gallery uses a mix of papers from the Papercrafting kit and some of the vintage items from the Antiquarian kit. 
The "Good Advice" label was the source of the page concept. It became the title but also the catalyst for the journaling. 
I sure got a lot of mileage out of this polka-dotted vellum! 
Check out the rest of the JBS Mercantile gallery here. 

That's it!  I've been merrily scrapping the summer away, as you can see.  ;)  Carpe scrap, I say. 

7 comments:

  1. Jill, I love your style and the way you choose colors and patterns. What you did with ice cream page- amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you are really inspiring me to scrap! I love all these pages. So much detail and eye-catching appeal. And I love your dog! What a beauty. Carpe scrap is my new fave phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These layouts are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing. You inspire me to get out of my scrapping box and get more creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good carpe-ing my friend! Love your poetic journaling and I am a kindred spirit in the giving pets (hmm and friends and family...) a zillion and one nick names. Happy fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all beautiful but the dog, I mean the beast, haha, sticks out the most! njoy your last month of freedom, I wish I had at least a month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what FANTASTIC pages! I especially love the layout of your dog--we call our dog 'the beast' as well! :) LOVING the inspiration today!

    ReplyDelete