Wednesday, December 31, 2014

14 from 2014

I didn't always realize it while the year was in progress, but 2014 was full of milestones and turning points for me. Thank goodness for scrapbooking, which helped me to document the moments and the memories. 

In 2014, there was always, blessedly, love...whether in the form of an announcement that one of my favorite couples would be making it official -- 
or the kind of love that announces itself every day in my lucky, lucky life.
2014 also made clear the matter of the teenager and her refusal to stop growing...
which makes me wonder about the fate of my scrapbooking habits when she heads off to college next year.
I think her cat will need to go with her.
I always get a kick out of creating pages about these two. Heartfelt layouts are important, but I also love the silly ones.
2014 was a year of goodbyes as well. Our sweet Cleo, who celebrated her twentieth birthday this spring, passed away in September.
This year felt like a test at times, full of defining decisions and moments. When Z had the opportunity to study abroad in Russia for the summer, of course I wanted to wrap my arms and legs around her and keep her home and safe, but I also wanted her to experience LIFE...and so I let her go.
I'm pretty sure that was the correct response to the test. She was transformed by the experience, and I suppose I was, too.

2014 was also the year in which I did not break my promise to myself, to include myself more often in my own albums.
I've come to think of pages like this as documenting the self-in-progress rather than one's "true" self. The fact that we are always changing makes it all the more important to document who we are, as we are, now.
This year I stopped thinking about my passions and hobbies as "guilty" pleasures and decided to throw the guilt out the window. This is my one life, and I'm going to make time for the things that I love without feeling badly about it.
I've also spent time this year rummaging through the archives, and realizing that some stories demand to be told and retold. We can tell our stories while they are fresh in our minds -- and we should! -- but there is also something to be said about what we recall about the milestones and moments in our lives years after they have occurred. What endures -- and why?
2014 was the year I made no apologies for telling my stories, in my way.
In 2015, I will make it a point to continue that.

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely loved this post Jill. So inspiring to pour over a collection of your beautiful layouts. I also especially love the point you made about telling stories while they're fresh in your mind, but taking the time to revisit them later on as well. Really REALLY want to go scrap something right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your LOs are works of art. Loved seeing so many of them together in one post. Thank you! Loved the ice of telling stories from different time perspectives.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, thank you for sharing your pages with us in 2014. You never cease to inspire me. I hope you will continue to share in 2015. May you have a wonderful year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this post very much and it shows your many talents! Your focus on the journaling is something I admire and wish I was better at. All of these pages are beautiful! May 2015 be an amazing and creative year for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill, Happy New Year. I want you to know that I look forward to your posts. I love your writing, your story telling, your design, your scrapbook pages. I could never pull a page together the way that you do, but I love that you do. I love your finished products, I loved seeing your process in Shimelle's class, your inspiration, your idea of Joy, how you brought your pieces together, hearing what your wrote (I couldn't read it). I don't know if I've ever left you a single comment before and that is wrong. I love when I see "Use Your Words" in my inbox -- it's what we said to our kids; I love when I see "Your OA Inspiration" in my inbox. I love words.
    When my daughter went off to college -- after making faces when I took photos, turning her back, sighing heavily, loudly telling her friends how annoying I was -- she did "friend" me on Facebook and I Iearned how to download photos from Facebook so I could scrapbook them; and when she spent spring break in Chicago with a friend she sent me all the memorabilia from the places she went. I think you'll manage! :)
    XOXO, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thank you so much! This was the last message I read on my phone before I lost it last night. It was a good last memory. :)

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post. I loved looking at your layouts and hearing your reflections. I just feel like we're kindred spirits and enjoy your stories so much. You have a tremendous talent for using your words. ;)

    I am excited and looking forward to what 2015 has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post!! So sorry about your kitty, that was the worst pain when I lost my first a few years ago. Good luck with 2015, im sure you'll have plenty to document, no guilt! :)

    ReplyDelete