Monday, January 19, 2015

Lately-ing

Lately I've been...

...binge-watching Frasier. We're on season 7 now, which, if you were ever a fan, you may recall as the one full of big revelations.  I miss intelligent TV -- and Frasier isn't just cerebral, it's also hilarious. A few episodes back, Frasier quoted Dorothy Parker: "Wit has truth in it; wise-cracking is simply calisthenics with words." EXACTLY.

...reading a few chapters of a book, putting it down, picking another up, reading that for a while, and then putting it down. I'm searching for a good book that doesn't leave me embittered or depressed, but that isn't so escapist that it makes me feel lobotomized.  I'm looking forward to starting (and hopefully finishing!) Sarah Addison Allen's First Frost, Vanessa Diffenbaugh's The Language of Flowers, and Marina Warner's Once Upon a Time: A Short History of the Fairy Tale. I just ordered these, and I'm hoping that they're worth the read. Fingers crossed.

...drooling over the February Scraptastic kit peeks. If you just clicked that you link you see what I mean. The sneaks alone make my fingers itch. I can't wait to get my hands on those lovelies! The stamp sets are so cute. Just look:

...proofreading college essays and writing recommendations. Seriously, we should give college-bound seniors (and their devoted teachers) at least two months off from school just to work on applications. I don't know how those kids keep up with the workload from school while writing essay after essay after essay for college apps. 

...listening to (upon my daughter's recommendation -- since she is Boss of the Radio when awake during our drives) songs from The Decemberists, The Avener, Panda Bear, Modest Mouse, Bahamas, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Hozier, The Head and the Heart, Fort Atlantic, Andrew McMahon (and Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness), The Tragic Thrills, and more. Z has awesome taste. :) 

...doing laundry. What else are weekends for? The cat appreciates it. 
A few weeks ago, the weather was chilly, and the cat found her way into a pile of towels fresh out of the dryer. Ever since, she's made a beeline straight for the towels whenever we bring in a basket of them.  We did two loads this morning. She was elated. 

Thanks for visiting! Have a great week! 

3 comments:

  1. I'm about a quarter way through Elizabeth Gilbert's 'The signature of all things' and love it. It's beautifully written. And I loved Anthony Doerr's 'All the light we cannot see'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll need to check those out! Thanks for the recommendations.

      Delete
  2. I read The Language of Flowers are few years ago and I really liked it. There was a few moments in the book that were a little hard for me to read because I found it a little heartbreaking in a few places, but I never once thought to shut the book and put it aside. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete