Friday, January 16, 2015

Note to Self

It's college application season in the U.S., with most deadlines occurring this month. Students are already receiving acceptance letters, and, as evidenced by my Facebook feed, their parents are bursting into tears and doing happy dances and using all caps in status updates and singing the "Hallelujah" chorus.

There must be something wrong with me, because my daughter has received two acceptance notices so far, and I didn't weep or scream. It's not that I'm not happy about the letters -- I really am! While the letters are an affirmation, both of us have been cautious, waiting to see what happens next with financial aid. The real celebrating can't happen until it becomes clear that this college thing can really happen without breaking us. Fingers crossed!

Come what may, 2015 is going to be a year of big ch-ch-changes for our family. What better way to channel the nervous energy that's been building than in the form of a cathartic layout?
Fellow Scraptastic Club DT member Nancy Burke and I challenged ourselves to create layouts that feature the selves we are now, at the beginning of 2015, addressing the selves we will be at the end of 2015. I wrote a "note to self" -- my eventual 2015 self -- in the hopes that she would be able to look back at who and where I am right now and let me know that it is going to be okay.
I know my December self will be revisiting this page, if only for a good laugh, which she will be happy to share with her daughter, who will have just completed her first semester of college.

8 comments:

  1. hi jill. yep. 5 acceptance letters here. no screams. no happy dances. no hallelujahs. I could barely get the kid to smile for the obligatory "hold your first acceptance letter up" photo. jeez. guess i should just be thrilled that he had the confidence to apply to and get into the schools he wanted. But why are they all in cold places when he said last year "I only know, I don't want to go anywhere cold."? I'm now starting to freak out about missing him. He just laughs. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an AMAZING way to channel the nervous energy--I know this will be next year....Not sure how we are going to be, guess I can't worry about that now--just enjoy the NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great layout, Jill! As the mom to a college sophomore and a high scho junior, I can totally relate toy your feelings of apprehension!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Jill! Super-fun photos and embellishing, and of course your journaling is just awesome and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the concept of this layout... I like that it's a short-term note to self, intended for the end of this year, instead of far into the future.

    ReplyDelete