Saturday, March 28, 2015

Randomness

1. My eyes have been bothering me a lot lately -- blurriness, sensitivity to light -- so I went to the eye doc this week. Prognosis:  my eyes are all jacked up, even though I have 20/20 vision in one eye and 20/25 in the other, which is bizarre, since the Squint is my official facial expression. Blame the astigmatism, dry eyes, and cataracts. The doc thinks I'm still too young for surgery, so mostly I'll be cowering from the sunlight, like the vampire I am apparently destined to become.

2. It's raining here today, but it's crazy humid, too. All day I've felt as if a warm wet blanket were draped over me.  Welcome, spring!  There are actually less irritating signs of spring around here as well, as evidenced in my most recent layout for Elle's Studio:
3. I've been craving hot dogs and mac and cheese lately, so that's what's for dinner tonight.  In fact, the mac and cheese is in the oven as I type this. My favorite mac and cheese recipe, "Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese," is from Bon Appetit. I discovered it years ago when I used to subscribe to the magazine, and long after my subscription ended, I was still making this delectable version.

4. Calvinball ends on March 31. I'm disappointed in my overall tally for the month. My eye issues have been a bit of an impediment this week. The day that my eyes were dilated  -- a state holiday, during which I had hoped to get crafty -- was a total wash creatively (especially since my eyes looked like this for most of the day). My goal this week was five pages. So far, I've only been able to make one:
That little strip at the bottom got a little crooked when I ran the page through the sewing machine, but it's all good -- imperfections on a layout prove that it was made by human hands.  I incorporated old and new supplies on this layout: old-ish Crate Paper, JBS, Heidi Grace patterned paper, Sassafras chipboard letters, vintage blueprint paper, perforated paper, and German language textbook pages, new-ish Studio Tekturek patterned paper and Gossamer Blue labels, and the just-released Treasure Map line from October Afternoon.

5. I think I may be the only person on earth who did not really like the new Cinderella movie. I didn't hate it -- it was very pretty, and captured the spectacle of the "Cinderella" tale quite well -- but I was hoping that it would be more of a fairy tale revision, versus a live action version of the Disney animated movie.  I didn't like seeing the stepmother/stepsister relationship handled the same way as always, especially not after reading Toni Morrison's "Cinderella's Stepsisters." Why not bring more depth and complexity to that relationship -- not to mention to Cinderella herself? My favorite film version of the "Cinderella" tale is Ever After.  There is still evil and maltreatment in the stepfamily relationship, but there is also a backstory suggested there (as in the scene when Danielle is brushing her stepmother's hair), and there is hope (as in the relationship of the subordinate stepsister to Danielle). I also appreciate that the transformation in the film occurs not just in Cinderella, as she is elevated from rags to riches as expected, but in the prince himself. That relationship still remains quite shallow in the most recent version.

I'm off to indulge in some mac and cheese.  Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. My favorite is Ever After as well!! Especially since Drew Barrymore has been my life long crush.
    Of course you're a vampire. That's all I have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! I do hope your eyes will be better soon. love these pages of course! bith are stunning but I do love it when you go monochromatic like in the second page! happy sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pages, jill! i hope your eyes start to feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't often comment on blogs where I don't really *know* the person, but I do read yours quite a bit.
    And frequently find myself saying "ITA" or "same here", so I decided to leave a comment :)
    I love Ever After! One of my all time favorite movies and the ending gets me every time.
    I do want to see the new Cinderella but wasn't expecting much I guess. I agree that I find myself wanting movies to have more depth. Ever After definitely had that!

    ReplyDelete