Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Routines and Revelations

I'm sure you've heard this gem of a quote before:

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives."
-- Annie Dillard
This quote is not only true (and disturbingly so, if you spend your days like an automaton), but it is also a great motivator for documenting those days and reflecting upon how those days come to comprise a life. 
The "Morning, Afternoon, Evening" journaling card from the April Elle's Studio kit became the springboard for a page about my weekday routine.  On a post last week on the Elle's Studio blog, I shared more about the process behind the page.

What's eye-opening about making a layout about routines is that in writing about those routines and pulling together photos to represent them, one inevitably ends up asking Big Questions: "Is this how I want to be spending my time? Am I happy spending my days this way? And if I don't want to spend my time this way, and if I'm not happy, then is it worth spending my time -- and, by extension, my life --  this way?" 

As for the answers to those questions...that's where the real revelations begin. 

Thanks, Annie Dillard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment