Sunday, May 29, 2016

Summer: Day 1

The Class of 2016 up and graduated yesterday, which means that for this teacher, it is now officially  summer break.

And I have no plans.

That sounds wonderfully liberating, doesn't it?  Days on end with nothing to do other than what I wish to do? No alarm clocks. No morning and afternoon traffic. No hole-in-the-dike inbox upkeep all day long. No monitoring anyone's behavior other than my own (unless you count that of my mischief-making dogs).

So why does the idea of two months without reporting to work actually sound bewildering to me at the moment?

I think I've become my routine.

Clearly I need this break.

Right now, I'm looking forward to lots of reading...
and lots (!) of scrapbooking...
the ICAD challenge...

and, weirdly (well, weirdly if you know me), lots of yard work, de-stashing, and cleaning...
and even lots of exercise -- all of the things that I don't get to do as often during the school year.

So how I did start my first day of summer?

By waking up at the crack of dawn thanks to the slurp-tastic tongue of my clearly attention-deprived dog, getting dressed in zombie mode, and heading out for coffee -- you know, same as always. Except today I noticed that the sky was bluer than blue, and I actually stopped to smell the gardenias, and when my cranky still-sleeping husband growled that I was up and about too early, I just laughed it off.

Summer: Day 1.  I'm ready.

6 comments:

  1. Jill, I've been a fan for so many years & this is the first time I've written. I appreciate your look at life. You scrap about your family/fur babies but also about things that make me think a little. I also come from a tropical island (Puerto Rico) & things are changing there, too. I wonder what we, as human beings & protectors of our planet, are leaving to our children. This page made me a little sad but is still beautiful to look at & most importantly to reflect. Enjoy your summer, you deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila -- I'm actually even more apprehensive about the situation than the page let on, but it's important to have hope. Although I've never been to Puerto Rico, I have heard much about its beauty. Our ecosystems are so fragile. I hope that the human race can get it together and start being more responsible when it comes to caring for the earth.

      Delete
  2. Hi, A quick question, can you tell me what has happened to October Afternoon they don't seem to have updated their blog for ages and I did love your layouts with their products?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, I wish I could answer your question, but I left the OA team before the blog stopped updating. I haven't heard anything about the company for some time now.

      Delete
  3. I like your book review posts, hope to read one soon:)

    ReplyDelete